Desktop replacement Conundrum

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mayart, Jul 28, 2017.

?

The lesser of three evils?

1. Alienware 17r4 after HIDevolution repasting/adjustment 7820HK

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. MSI GT73 titan pro-858 4K 7820HK

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. EVOC p870KM1 7700K (hot) ****ty keyboard

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayart

mayart Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks, my budget is around 3000 usd and I am looking for a 17incher which I will be buying in the U.S through an online seller (either HID or Xotic). I am not looking for refurbished and will be doing heavy gaming such as BF1, Witcher 3, Star citizen, Metro (all of them lolz), along with some unreal engine 4 and maya/3ds max type of stuff. Now battery life is not a huge issue for considering desktop replacements don't get that much battery time, so somewhere from 1.5 - 2 hours would be fine. Windows 7 was great but windows 10 is seeming to pretty nice as well so no issue there. One of my main things is that I would like QHD 2560x1440 (going all the way to 4k seems too much), and want this thing to last me for atleast a good 3-4 years solid. Now with all that being said....

I have read quite a lot of threads/posts and done as much research as I could on my own and am a little stuck.

The main things I am stuck with are this, I managed to boil it down to: MSI GT73 titan pro-858 (the 4k version with 7820HK) vs p870KM1 vs alienware 17r4 (all from HID, I already online chatted with Donald and he was super helpful).

-Now both the MSI and alienware have great build quality and keyboard, but both the msi & alienware dont have a 7700K and the alienware has thermal issues (Now how much of that will be fixed with HID's repasting/adjustments??).

-While the p870KM1 is a beast (towards which I am leaning), from what I gather it's keyboard is atrocious, driver and bios support is sparse (but Donald said that apparently they can update the drivers and prema bios and all that remotely whenever a new version comes out), the 7700K can run hot ( while Donald did assure me that it will never hit 90c), the fan gap, and that clevo's can have issues apparently, so much so that Pheonix has switched to MSI, but the issue seems to be that there is no GTX 1080 MSI specifically with QHD (hence the titan pro-858 4k version)

So, I guess it comes down to....alienware 17r4 after HID repasting/adjustment 7820HK VS MSI GT73 titan pro-858 4K 7820HK VS EVOC p870KM1 7700K hot ****ty keyboard

and maybe to boil it down further.....7820HK(cooler slower)/better build quality/better keyboard VS 7700K (hotter faster)/decent build quality?/atrocious keyboard

Any discussion, Suggestions and light shone on the matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

2. Beemo

Beemo BGA is totally TSK TSK!

Reputations:
    The only best "desktop replacement" so far is Clevo since it has a desktop CPU.

MSI would be my second choice but I wouldn't call it a "desktop replacement" since its BGA.

I like Alienware because of the premium build quality in the outside but from the inside it's problematic, and I'm talking about the heatsink issue which I doubt that Dellienware fixed it or ever plan in fixing it it.

So getting a good working (no issue) Alienware unit is like winning in lottery so I wouldn't advice getting one atm, maybe in the future but not this time.

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    The AW from HiD is 99% certain to NOT have thermal issues. Not to mention Dell themselves addressed the issue last year and the newer models are, for the most part, problem-free. Additionally, build quality on AW is FAR superior to MSI.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The MSI will not be significantly cooler. In fact, properly pasted and undervolted, the p870KM! can run as cool or cooler with its vapor chamber cooling system. Maybe @Mr. Fox can chime in, he owns and has done significant work on the P870KM. If money is not an issue, you should avoid BGA; soldering everything to the motherboard reduces life and performance.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Beemo

Reputations:
    This...

If you're looking for laptop that will last you for a very long time then Clevo is the best choice.

As for the Dellienware fixed the issue...I don't know where you get that numbers but more and more threads about AW thermal issue rose up every day in this forum and in Reddit so definitely no they haven't fix it...maybe a temporary fix by repasting, repadding but nope those doesn't fix the issue entirely.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Beemo

Reputations:
    Double post.

7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Erm, @iunlock - the person who broke the original story, was in talks with Dell and Dell acknowledged it and replaced the 5mm pads with 1mm pads making the 60-90 split on cores even out at 80. It's not as cool as it can be but it's no longer throttling or anything.

8. Grizzly13ear

Grizzly13ear Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From my experience in terms of research, talking to everyone on the forums and comparing companies I would say that HidEvolution especially @Donald@HIDevolution know what they are talking about and genually very honest & helpful. I am personally at the final stages of ordering a Evoc from HiDevolution. What I have been told/seen is that the Evoc line of laptops they have are the ultimate gaming laptops that are future proof for any enthuist looking to game or mod/OC etc. Key thing to point out as others have desktop components which are far superior to the standard laptops ones. Happy Hunting mate, hope this helps you out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    A desktop CPU doesn't make that much of a difference in this case since there is no upgrade path. Coffee Lake is re-routed 1151 meaning existing motherboards are not compatible. Not to mention the 7700K runs quite hot.

10. Grizzly13ear

Grizzly13ear Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @don_svetlio Do you think going with the i5 7600k would be a better choice? for a 1070/1080

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.