Desktop CPU (45 or 65W) + Integrated GPU + Thunderbolt 3 (eGPU support)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FlorentH, Oct 27, 2019.

1. FlorentH

FlorentH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

My dream laptop would have the following features:

• Desktop/laptop CPU: i9-9980HK (45W) to i9 9900 (65W);
    • Integrated GPU (e.g. Intel UHD 630); and
    • Thunderbolt 3 that can reliably and effectively support eGPUs.
    Does this magical unicon exist? I sure hope so.

Thank you,

Florent

Edit: clarified CPU choices

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. FlorentH

Reputations:
    Well, as far as I am aware, the i9-9900K is a 95W desktop CPU without integrated graphics and the i9-9900 is a 65W desktop CPU with integrated graphics.

The reason I want integrated graphics is because I will only be gaming when the laptop is docked-in at home. I don't need a dedicated GPU for anything else really. An iGPU will reduce the price of the laptop significantly and boost battery life.

4. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In that case forget the 9900k and get the crap BGA HK!

you'll end up needing to get a new laptop in a couple of years instead.

5. FlorentH

Reputations:
    Hmm, maybe you are right. Do you have any SKUs for a 15.6" laptop with a i9-9900K?

6. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The p750tm1 supports it but be ready for some heavy undervolt and limit the speed of the cpu since it will easily reach 90c on 5.0ghz
    17'' have way better heatsinks and refrigeration

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, 9900KF is the version without integrated graphics. As mentioned, for P7/P8 series DTR Clevos, the iGPU is inaccessible in any case and there are no power phases for it on the mobo.

As for eGPU, keep in mind that TB3 bottlenecks even the fastest desktop GPU to 1660 Ti/2060 levels at worst, so it may not make much sense to go that route in the first place versus having a decent midrange dGPU in the laptop already, especially since nearly all laptops with an 8-core i9 already come with discrete graphics. If you insist on eGPU, I suggest using a high-resolution external monitor (1440p/UW or 4K depending on the GPU) connected directly to the card as the TB3 bottleneck will be less severe at lower frame rates.

Papusan and joluke like this.
  8. FlorentH

Reputations:
    Thank you for your advice @yrekabakery and @joluke; both of you have changed my mind. I will describe where I am coming from, and hopefully you can help me out with my computer purchase.

I am looking to buy the Samsung C49RG9 monitor that has a resolution of 5120*1440 (11% less pixels than 4K) and a refresh rate of 120 Hz. I have come to the conclusion that no current graphics card, not even the desktop RTX 2080 Ti, is capable of pushing this resolution at 120 Hz.

Therefore, I would like to forget gaming for the next couple of years and buy a laptop or desktop PC that has a very good processor for my primary usage cases: coding and music production. The reason I would get a laptop is that I spend most of the day at my university working on my PhD project, so it would be nice if I invested in a computer that can be used both at home and at the office. However, your comment that TB3 bottlenecks eGPUs significantly has left me wondering if buying a laptop with a very good CPU will only last me until GPUs come out that are capable of 4K gaming at 120 Hz; I will then need to build a desktop PC and my laptop will be obsolete.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    4K 120Hz (almost 1 gigapixel/s!) is an absolutely insane GPU (and CPU/RAM to a lesser extent) workload for AAA gaming. It would most definitely require the highest end next-gen GPU to even approach. So I see a couple different scenarios here:
    1. Like you said, forget about gaming and get a non-gaming laptop for the here and now, then build a desktop in a year or two when the top-of-the-line next-gen GPU (x80 Ti) drops
    2. Buy an Alienware laptop with an 8-core i9 and support for their Graphics Amplifier, which bottlenecks eGPUs a lot less than TB3 (performance is within single digit % of the same GPU in a desktop) and pop a next-gen x80 Ti GPU in there when the time comes

10. FlorentH

Reputations:
    Do you think 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0 is enough for 4K 120Hz anyway?