Desktop Computer Discussion Lounge?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Eh I always thought they were overpriced. I've had some people have beefs with these custom desktop builders (like shipping not included in the warranty, shipping a 50 pound desktop to California everytime for a repair gets quite expensive).

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, all of their hardware is overpriced, and their shipping costs are insane. Next day shipping is like $1050, lol. I'm not sure if that means they'll build your PC in one day and ship it the next day or what. But damn, that's a lot of money on top of their already outrageous prices.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I can usually slap together a desktop in 30 minutes and I have a local Microcenter I can go to if parts are DOA. If I spend time cable tying everything down, 2-3 hours tops. Desktops just aren't worth buying prebuilt unless you are hopeless with electronics.......

4. J.Dre

Reputations:
    I've never setup a multiple GPU liquid cooled system with a reservoir and whatnot. That's unfamiliar territory for me, which is why I was considering purchasing a pre-built system from them. They also look like they do a very professional job with assembly and wiring. Not sure I can justify the prices, though. They're actually more overpriced than Alienware, lol.

5. Kuu

Kuu That Quiet Person

Reputations:
    If you're going with a custom system, you might as well build it yourself, or have someone local to do it for you, that way you have someone to yell at in person if something breaks :p

6. J.Dre

Reputations:
    Their warranty is pretty good. I don't think I'd have to worry about that.

I'm contemplating whether or not to do so. To be honest, I think sticking with laptops is my best option. But it doesn't hurt to consider desktops. I've built them before, just nothing "advanced" like what Digital Storm offers, in terms of cooling. They do charge one hell of a premium for it, though.

7. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    I am happy having gone with a desktop, and would recommend it if you don't expect to have to be moving it a lot and have a (less powerful) laptop for times you do need mobility like travel. It's inexpensive compared to a similarly powerful laptop, easy to swap out parts to replace or upgrade. And I'd suspect even high-end prebuilt desktops still give you better specs for the price than high-end prebuilt laptops from comparable manufacturers.

Although I've also never done anything with high-end liquid cooling. At that point, you're also probably looking at performance beyond anything you can expect in a laptop, so there's that. It's kind of the opposite end of the argument for desktops. On one side, you can get more performance with your money with a desktop. But with what you're looking at, it's not necessarily more performance for the same money, just more raw performance, even if it costs more money. Almost certainly above the sweet spot value-wise, but could be worth doing in the same way that getting a sports car could be worth doing.

8. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Once I got a desktop its like pulling teeth to use my laptop. I honestly don't ever want to buy another laptop in my life(but I'm sure I will have to). Building desktops is really simple too, even doing things like liquid cooling isn't that hard.

Jarhead likes this.
  9. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    Tis the opposite for me. My desktops are rarely on unless I am actively using them. My main one gets turned on for games, and sometimes for VM's or other power hungry activity. Most of the time I either use my Air (either standalone or in a stand with an external monitor or two (usb displaylink frigger)), or my work rMBP in a stand with 3 external monitors (1 via HDMI, 1 via hdmi to mini-displayport, and 1 via active displayport to hdmi). If I need to use windows, then my little dell tablet does the job.

Fun fact: my atom tablet transcodes videos faster than my desktop, which has vastly more raw cpu power (3770k OC'ed to something like 4.4GHz. It can go higher, but that requires disabling cpu scaling and some other power things, which isn't worth it to me).

10. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    I use my laptop and desktop equally and have found the best result to be a mid-range (gaming capable, but not god-box) laptop and a more power-house desktop.

This way I have the best of both worlds, and the cost doesn't skyrocket.
    I realize this is probably due to my changing lifestyle. My fiancée has kids, they tend to abscond with one or the other and I can usually keep at least one for my use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.