Designing and Writing Custom BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by taklantaran, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taklantaran

taklantaran Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any experience in developing their own custom BIOS or editing existing BIOS to replace the OEM one? Could you redirect me to any other resource that I may find useful?

2. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    Writing a BIOS from scratch? Not possible I'd say...

Editing an existing BIOS yes, but it takes a lot of disassembling and programming skills, it's not easy at all.

You might find some stuff here, though it's possible that some things are outdated... and here.

It's nothing you can learn over night.

3. Aluminum

Aluminum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    coreboot

Some recent designs claim to fully support it (amd's fusion for example) though it depends a lot on what peripherals are used.

The idea of booting barebones to fullblown linux is tempting for some things.

4. 1234s282

1234s282 Newbie

Reputations:
  5. maximinimaus

maximinimaus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I have done quite a bit of bios modding, and I have bricked a computer twice doing it lol. Its risky business.

7. taklantaran

taklantaran Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot folks. At least I have an idea of what it is.

8. newsposter

newsposter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Anything is possible if you're willing to put the time and energy in to the learning.

Phoenix, and maybe AMI, had a modular developer BIOS kit that *used* to be freely downloadable if you had some kind of industry credentials.

9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think Vicious is talking about modifying an existing BIOS, flashing the system, and the mod'ed BIOS was so messed up, it bricked the machine.

10. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If your mod'ed BIOS leaves the EEPROM in a bad, bad state or the video doesn't work after the flash or some other problem, unless you can do a blind flash, the only option is to get a replacement BIOS chip.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, so I'll let Vicous expand on his story.