Dells sold at Wal-Mart and Best Buy vs Dell.com

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Stevoreno, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevoreno

Stevoreno Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are the Dell notebooks currently being sold in Wal-Marts and Best Buys the same quality built machines as those sold on Dell.com? I read on another discussion board that they were not.

I read that the Dell products sold in Wal-Marts and Best Buys were built and shipped out from a different manufacturing source than the Dell computer products being sold on Dell.com.

That the computer products being sold at those 2 mass retailers are not built as good as those purchased directly from Dell.com. Is there any truth to that story?

2. Stevoreno

Stevoreno Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nobody has an opionion on my post? Are Dell notebooks sold at Wal-Mart and Best Buy a lower quality than those purchased from Dell.com? Someone on CNET posted that they were.

3. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Hey, I know someone who bought a XPS 1330 from Best Buy vs. Dell's site, and they are happy with it! They simply chose not to deal with Dell directly, and got a saving from gift cert's etc. :)

The ones at Walmart are cheaper..because they are not loaded with the latest technology (hence older models)...My friends Mum got her little sister an Inspiron from there for fairly cheap! As, it was no longer sold on Dell's website ~ and she wanted something *practical* for her sis' to use!

Though, Walmart is now carrying the newer models :)

I think, it depends on who you talk to! And, the best deal you can get by the configuration, how soon you want it, etc. :)

For me, I would choose to order from Dell directly because of my EPP discount!

Hope that helps!

Cin ;) :)

4. piker28

piker28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got my new Inspiron from best buy and i see dells everyday from them direct. And to be honest I see no difference, it all comes from the same place. Main difference with mine is that it seems the warranty will be through best buy and not dell... which can be good or bad to some people

5. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    The deals really haven't been to bad on the Dell's available at Best Buy.

It's just depends on what you want via config, and a warranty thru Best Buy or direct thru Dell (when purchased thru Dell). :)

6. mgh_a1

mgh_a1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The main downside to purchasing from the store instead of purchasing online is that the former is configured one way, and that is your choice. The Dell site allows some customization, however I don't think the upgrades are always a great value. Luckily, there tends to be a lot of good coupons available online, which can make a better configuration more affordable.

7. mick4394

mick4394 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been very happy with my Inspiron 13 that I purchased at Best Buy, haven't had any issues with it.

It would have cost be a lot more to by the same machine from Dell, and I also got a pile of Reward Zone points.

8. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Same machines. The only thing that scares me is Best Buy's "warranties" and "insurance policies".

9. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    I still prefer my Dell EPP program..it's usually got some sweet incentives ;) :)

10. Terrigno

Terrigno Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah and I prefer Dell.com simply because of my Credit I have with them :) It gives m access to what I want. When I want it and I want it NOW! hahah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.