DellFanManagement & DellFanKeepAlive – Tools for managing the fan speed in Dell laptops

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Aaron44126, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They are literally the exact commands spelled out in this thread's OP shoved into a batch file with the "Run as Admin" option checked and a custom icon set for them. Here are mine... Obviously they live on my C:\ drive at C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\
    It takes a bit of Windows screwery to pin batch file shortcuts to your taskbar... I basically had to rename them as a .exe, pin the exe then rename the file back to .bat . Note, they do not run silently... that takes more Windows screwery than I care about at the moment.

Here is what my taskbar looks like: upload_2020-10-17_15-54-8.png

DellFanCmd_ECDisable.bat
    C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable-nofanchg

DellFanCmd_ECEnable.bat
    C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\DellFanCmd.exe ec-enable

DellFanCmd_FanLevel0.bat
    C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\DellFanCmd.exe fan1-level0
    C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\DellFanCmd.exe fan2-level0

DellFanCmd_FanLevel1.bat
    C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\DellFanCmd.exe fan1-level1
    C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\DellFanCmd.exe fan2-level1

DellFanCmd_FanLevel2.bat
    C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\DellFanCmd.exe fan1-level2
    C:\DellFanControl\DellFanCmd-2.1\DellFanCmd.exe fan2-level2

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    To run silently you can point your shortcuts to cmdh.exe (attached). This program takes the same parameters as cmd.exe but does not spawn a visible console window ("h" is for "hidden"). The command would just be
    cmdh.exe [full path to batch file]

Attached Files:

Maleko48 likes this.
  3. mkoev

mkoev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You guys are golden!!!! Thanks so much! :)

4. Kocane

Kocane Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This tool is very much appreciated. Final solution to getting my brothers AIO (7775) under control. Despite hardly getting warm it has a knack for increasing the fan RPM but this tool lets us control it with Speedfan or HWiNFO. Funny how such an AIO is so much like a laptop but I guess it makes sense. Thank you very much for providing us this tool.

EDIT: Hmm, I'm trying to use DellFanKeepAlive. I use the exe with parameters "DellFanKeepAlive.exe 70 80 1059" and it launches and monitors speed and temperatures but don't seem to have much affect and it gives me an "!! Errors detected, check error log file for details !!".

upload_2020-10-31_20-15-32.png

The error in the log is just repeatedly:
    Code:
    31/10/2020 20:13:59 - System.FormatException Input string was not in a correct format.
       at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
       at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
       at DellFanManagement.KeepAlive.TemperatureReader.GetCpuCoreTemperatures()
       at DellFanManagement.KeepAlive.DellFanKeepAlive.Main(String[] args)
    Any idea? Combining EC control at load but making the PC shut up when idling/light loaded seems the ideal solution. Using DellFanCmd works just fine, to switch between speeds and turning EC on/off.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Hmm, I do not get any errors when I run DellFanKeepAlive under normal circumstances. It looks like there is something going on which is preventing Open Hardware Monitor from seeing the temperatures of your individual CPU cores. (There should be a line for each core in addition to the "CPU package" line.)

If you run Open Hardware Monitor directly, does it report temperature values for the individual cores? What type of CPU does this thing have?
    https://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  6. morbvamp

morbvamp Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I was trying to execute DellFanKeepAlive process but it crashes with the following error:
    [​IMG]

P.S. I'm not running DellFanCmd at all.
    P.S.2 DellFanCmd works fine..

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    See directions in the first post. You have to provide lower temperature bound, upper temperature bound, and RPM bound as command-line parameters. (At some point I'm going to update the app to complain properly if you leave these out. I also have plans for a more robust GUI app that runs from the system tray but life is preventing me from working on it right now.)

morbvamp likes this.
  8. morbvamp

morbvamp Newbie

Reputations:
    I was able to run DellFanKeepAlive passing the parameters needed. I can also confirm that this works on my Dell XPS 13 9300 withouth any issues. Now I need to find the best low-high-rpm values for this laptop!

Thanks for your hard work and help!

9. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to do something like DellFanKeepAlive but in fanless (level 0) mode instead of 50% speed (level 1)?

Basically I want to save as much battery as possible, and therefore the fan needs to be off as much as possible, and it should only run in an emergency (temperature reaches above 85 or 90). Current Intel CPU (the 14nm, at least) is efficient enough to run in fanless mode in browsing and office tasks. I am currently typing this with the fan off (level 0) on my XPS 15 9560, and the temperature is at 47 degrees, even though the ambient temperature is easily above 25.

Basically what I want:
    • 0-85 degrees --> Fan level 0
    • Above 85 degrees --> Give control back to EC
    Either that, or:
    • 0-85 degrees --> Fan level 0
    • 85-90 degrees --> Fan level 1
    • Above 90 degrees --> Fan level 2

Btw long before I found this program, the Dell fan management is quite weird. Basically:
    1. Idle with fan on
    2. Open Dell Command Power Manager
    3. Set the fan profile to something else (this could literally be anything, you could go from Quiet -> Cool for that matter)
    4. Fan turns off
    5. Set the fan profile back to the previous option
    6. Fan is still off
    Idk it feels like EC sometimes 'forgot' to adjust the fan speed or something unless I told them "Hey active fan profile X". Anybody has an idea what's going on there?

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I have observed this as well. I'm not completely sure how the EC decides to do what it does, but it seems to have a timer component — i.e., "if things were hot recently, then once the temperature is below X threshold for X seconds, shut off the fans". Making a profile change resets the whole state of the system and can cause the fans to immediately shut off.

Your first request "basically what I want" is something that I will look into providing with the next update to the app. (No timeline commitment, I have a lot of stuff on my plate.) Though in a case like this, when you hand control back to the EC at a high temperature you will find the fans immediately/suddenly ramping up to the highest level, because that is where the EC will want to put them.

Your second request "Either that, or" is already possible using DellFanCmd + SpeedFan. I have some directions on how to set it up in this post. Note that in SpeedFan, you have to find a checkbox in settings to turn on Dell laptop fan support, which is not on by default, and then restart the app before it will see your fans.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ual-custom-control-of-the-laptop-fans.827106/
    I think that you might also be able to do it with hwinfo64 (no DellFanCmd required). I haven't played with the fan management options in there but other users have reported that it works and you can set thresholds.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020