DellFanManagement & DellFanKeepAlive – Tools for managing the fan speed in Dell laptops

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Aaron44126, Jun 18, 2020.

1. LaptopFan99

LaptopFan99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Update for anyone with new BIOS (I have 1.20) or an XPS 9560/similar:

DellFanCmd / DellFanKeepAlive seem to intermittently work. Meaning sometimes the EC control takes over despite this software trying to disable it. But other times, DellFanCmd is able to take over and actually reduces the fan speeds to the specified setting. It seemed that using the internal GPU for all software helps reduce fan speeds, but the system still seems to randomly speed up my fans, even when I'm not using the high performance GPU or even doing any computations at all. It's quite annoying. I may downgrade the BIOS soon and try DellFanCmd again if this can't be fixed.

2. mkoev

mkoev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all. I am trying to use the DellSetThermalSetting app, but it just says

Thermal setting, before change: Error
    Thermal setting, after change: Error

Tried it with EC enabled and disabled. The DellFanCmd.exe is working great. Made sure I've got all the libraries in the same folder, cmd is running as Admin.

Using Dell 7577 with Win 10 Home 64bit.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Are you able to adjust the thermal setting in Dell Power Manager on this system?

4. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 7577 never received that control portion of Dell Power Manager... I believe it is only valid starting on 8th or 9th gen CPUs through Dell.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    On the Precision line the setting is available starting from 4th gen CPUs, but I do not know if that is the case for all product lines. My console app will not be able to change the setting if it is not available in Dell Power Manager.

Maleko48 likes this.
  6. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah... I have just come to expect nearly no support from Dell at this point... except to kneecap existing machines in the name of "security" to get users to spend more money on another machine... except that doesn't work on me and my next machine almost certainly will NOT be a Dell.

I have tried updating to the newest DPM but have been unable to for some time due to an installation/update error despite my best efforts to work around it. I don't use DPM anyways, as I just set what it can control in my BIOS and forget about it. I prefer to have less junk running on my machine in the background anyways.

A properly setup, tuned, and automated machine using ThrottleStop and your utilities is better than whatever "thermal" profiles Dell has to offer anyways imo.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The thermal profiles allow you to tilt the system performance in favor of either performance, noise, or surface temperature (pick one to improve at the expense of the other two). They can certainly be used in conjunction with ThrottleStop, and not just necessarily instead of it.

Dell Power Manager doesn't actually need to be installed to use the console app to switch profiles. Newer Dell systems also allow the thermal profile to be set in the BIOS, but either the console app or DPM will allow it to be set "on the fly" without a reboot. I have my system dynamically switching between "Quiet" and "Performance" depending on what apps I am running.

8. mkoev

Reputations:
    Thank you for all the answers. Indeed the 7577 never got the control portion in DPM. I really hate the fact than I can't control my fans with the click/press of a button so having some profiles to easily change between them would've been great.

9. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wrote a couple of batch scripts and pinned them to my taskbar: DisableEC, EnableEC, FanLv0, FanLv1, FanLv2
    Good enough for now

10. mkoev

Reputations:
    Do you mind posting them? :D