DellFanManagement & DellFanKeepAlive – Tools for managing the fan speed in Dell laptops

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Aaron44126, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, I noticed that the Dell Power Manager app takes a good 20 seconds or so to load on my system too. You could easily set up desktop shortcuts or something to fire the command line app and switch to a certain mode.

2. minimalmayhem

minimalmayhem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's exactly what I did! I prefer cool over optimised for most day to day stuff....that little bit of extra heat coming into my palms with 'optimised' is just a bit unpleasant

3. wretchedsoul

wretchedsoul Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys need some help, inspiron 15 7559, did the regedit, extract dellfancmd and run cmd to the path but loading SMM I/O driver failed. Thank you so much

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Basically things to check...
    * You're running 64-bit Windows
    * Visual C++ 2019 redistributable is installed
    * bzh_dell_smm_io_x64.sys file exists wherever you are running the program from
    * Command prompt is run elevated / "as administrator"

5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    this looks exciting, I hope to play with it soon! :)

Any idea why I am getting this error when trying to update my Dell Power Manager from v3.6.0 to newest release version?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  6. Sibb

Sibb Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an issue running the DellFanCmd.
    I extracted the DellFannCmd.zip to desktop (bzh_dell_smm_io_x64.sys, DellFanLib.dll and the .exe), I run the .exe as admin, CMD flashes up and that is it. The .exe is not running in the background (task manager) and it is not in the system tray.

I have a Lattitude 7280 with W10 and latest BIOS, CPU fan do the pumping thing (from 0 to 100% in 1 sec, over and over), because I am using it with a Dell Docking station.

What I did:
    -- Visual C++ 2019 installed

--While installing NET: .NET Framework 4.8 or a later update is already installed on this computer.

-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CI\Policy
    Right click on Policy, new key, DWORD 32-bit, name: UpgradedSystem, value data: . Restarted few times after that.

Could you please help me to run the .exe?

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This is a fully command-line app. It does not run in the background and it does not stay active. It does its job and then quits. You have to run it from the command line to see the output. If you're not comfortable with the command line then you should look at Dell fan utility. You can drop my copy of bzh_dell_smm_io_x64.sys in place of his and then you won't have to worry about turning off driver signing or whatever.

8. Sibb

Sibb Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, it was new to me, that you can start and add options to a .exe through cmd.
    Could you please interpret the behavior of my machine?
    • With or without docking station (USB C), after a time the fan (cpu only) start to pump (0-100% in quick bursts)
    • Sometimes after 1-3 restart/shutdown the fan works normal
    • I run the cmd as admin and after DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable the fan worked at 100% and after few seconds started to pump
      "Loading SMM I/O driver...
      ...Success.
      Attempting to disable EC control of the fan...
      ...Success.
    • DellFanCmd.exe ec-enable worked but fan still pumping
      Loading SMM I/O driver...
      ...Success.
      Attempting to enable EC control of the fan...
      ...Success.
      Unloading SMM I/O driver...
      ...Done.
    • I run the test, fan1 was measured at level 0-2, but the speed was displayed as 0.
    I turned the EC off and on. Could be the EC damaged on mainboard? Could be the fan itself be broken?

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    That seems like very strange behavior. What model system do you have?
    [Edit] Nevermind I see it is a Latitude. I haven't done any testing on these systems but it sounds like there might indeed be a system issue with your motherboard or fan.

Is your system new? Has it always had this problem?

10. Sibb

Sibb Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought it through ebay it had low resolution screen, the motherboard was clean and the thermal grease was fresh.
    At the beginning it happend only once but then more often.
    Btw: I used the alt methode, no change.
    After few restarts the fan started to work fine, I run "...exe test" after measirung Fan1, level 0 the fan started to pump again.
    I also got since last two days error while booting:
    Fan malfunction. Pres F1 to retry boot... F5 onboard diagnostics, which found nothing.