DellFanCmd – Tool to enable manual/custom control of the laptop fans

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Aaron44126, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Vankulas

Vankulas Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you Aaron a lot for your work! :) This EC driver works quite flawlessly for my Dell G5 5587. With combination of well set up and calibrated SpeedFan and its fan curves it works much better than original Dell fan control management. (Silent laptop at low CPU and GPU loads, and much better and nimble cooling at high system loads.)

But there are two important things to emphasise:
    • First is about SpeedFan. It is quite necessary to run SpeedFan as application with high CPU priority! Otherwise it won't be responding properly at the times of high CPU loads. (And therefore it won't be controling fans properly at those times.)

If you start SpeedFan at startup via Task Scheduler or .bat file without further specification, it is usually running with below normal CPU priority. And that's not good at all. Therefore I strongly recommend to add /high command into the script for running it with high priority:
      Code:
      start "" /high "C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe"

• And the second thing is about the scripts for running your DellFanCmd app. For me it works 100% properly only if there is fully specified path to the application. (In my case C:\DellFanCmd.)

For example after sleep, this script works fine to disable Dell EC fan control again:
      Code:
      C:
      cd C:\DellFanCmd
      DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable
      whilst this another, shorter option doesn't work (it seems to work, but actually does nothing):
      Code:
      DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable
      So maybe it would be better to use those full path options in all your examples, too. To eliminate malfunction possibilities for other users. :)

Thanks a lot again! Cheers! :)

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you're using Task Scheduler, put the C:\DellFanCmd in the "Start in" field and then you won't need to switch directories in the script.
    I do think that it is not a bad idea to add "high priority" to the SpeedFan process but I haven't had an issue with SpeedFan controlling the fans even under high CPU load. I think that it would only be an issue if you are running your CPU-busy task at above normal priority.

3. scavenger007

scavenger007 Newbie

Reputations:
    I ran speedfan (on my Dell 7588) in high priority mode and noticed that it's temperature reading lagged the readings from Throttlestop. The throttlestop readings are more realtime, whereas the speedfan readings seem to be sampled every 1-2 seconds. Have any of you have similar experience?

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Same here, Speedfan does not sample super fast; however, I haven't found it to be an issue when it comes to fan control.

5. nepO

nepO Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have tried your app on my 7520. Here is what I have to report:
    1. Both methods (main and alternative) work.
    2. Once EC is disabled, LCD brightness cannot be controlled anymore.
    3. To re-enable brightness control I have to either press "System Auto" button in HWiNFO or to enable EC.

It also looks like HWiNFO allows to set manual fan speed without using your app (or when I enable EC using your app). Am I missing something obvious here?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    hwinfo has been updated to use the same method that this command-line tool uses to disable EC fan control. So, if you want to use hwinfo, you do not need the command-line tool.
    You still must use the tool if you want to have SpeedFan manage the fan speed.

7. GiorgioBera

GiorgioBera Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried on my Dell Inspiron 15 7559 and I got the following issue:

The SpeedFan tool doesn't work very well, without changing any parameter it makes lag on youtube video. Maybe because my laptop doesn't support SpeedFan, should I try another fan tool? Anyone has some suggestions ?

However the DellFanCmd works fine, thank you so much.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  8. montcer9012

montcer9012 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well.

@Aaron, thanks for taking time to share all this knowledge, it is very appreciated.

@Everyone, I just signed in because I wanted to post some comments. I have a Dell G3 3579, which is getting overheated since a while and quite frankly I am worried as the warranty already expired.

It is overheating at the point that the surface in the keyboard gets warm by only using the system, specially when the CPU and GPU are located. Not HOT UNTOUCHABLE but it is uncomfortable to be this hot only by doing some normal computing (surf the web, work with Excel, Word, Outlook, nothing too stressfully for the system), specially when this wasn't something that happens before, but the obvious exception of gaming, that have a heavy CPU / GPU usage.

It is important to point out that Windows (10x64 Pro, updated to date) does not report a high CPU / GPU usage. Look at my current temperatures while posting this post, with only the browser consuming any stressful resource:
    OneDriveImage
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I am trying to control the fans with SystemSpeed but I think I am not able to get it completely controlled. The program says that PWD is at 100 at something close to 5000rpm, but even at that point the system gets warm/hot. Either way, I said I think the program isn't fully controlling the fans because if I set both PWD to 0, after 1 or 2 seconds the system will auto start it at a very high speed registering like 7000rpm in the program.

What I want is to:
    1. Know the cause of this sudden overheating. What should I do to acknowledge the origen of it?
    2. To really control the fans speed and set it to 7000rpm (or more) by default. I do not care at all of my laptop being nosy because I mainly use it in my house.

So, any help or hint may be really appreciated.

Regards.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  9. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, do you consider replacing thermal paste on CPU and GPU ? something like noctua NT-H2 will give you a big reduction of temperature :)

10. montcer9012

montcer9012 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your suggestion, @TheQuentincc

I would rather solve the problem with a sofrware relate solution as I am not comfortable opening the laptop / giving it to someone to open it.

After my previous post, I did update the system BIOS and the DELL framework programs, and I did disable Intel TurboBost in the BIOS option, and now I have a HEAVY reduction of temperature. I also set the fans to be in "Ultra Performance" in the DELL Power Management Thermal Configuration and they are up and running all the time.

However, how do I know if I am really using these fan max speed? Because they are very slow to be honest. If I had to open that laptop, I would like to replace these fans with a more adequate fans for that CPU and GPU.