DellFanCmd – Tool to enable manual/custom control of the laptop fans

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Aaron44126, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CI\Policy.
    Create a new key, DWORD 32-bit (name: UpgradedSystem)
    Set the value to 0.

mnewxcv likes this.
  2. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    worked perfectly, thank you. I was trying this to see if it would prevent throttling of the CPU while on battery (as in some cases it has been said to do this). Still throttles down to 15w for CPU power on Dell 7588/8750h. Fan control works perfectly though.

3. Simon Simončič

Simon Simončič Newbie

Reputations:
    It also works nicely with my G5 5587 after some modifications.
    There are two things that I think are worth mentioning for anyone with the same model:
    - Observed Pwm levels for my laptop are:
    0% - 0 RPM
    35% - 2200 RPM
    70% - 4750 RPM
    100% - 5050 RPM (only after ec-disable)
    Both fans will run at 100% (5050 RPM) only after "DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable", when speed drops to lower level you cannot go higher than 70% (4750 RPM), unless you ec-enable and ec-disable again.
    - SpeedFan kinda works even without "DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable" but you can hear that the EC is fighting for control with SpeedFan every second, which can result in a situation where SpeedFan is telling the fan to go to 0% and EC is telling the fan to go to 30% every second. With me that was happening when pause command executed during startup script so I set it to a small value of 5 seconds and I also used ec-disable-nofanchg argument so that fans dont start with 100%.
    I hope this helps someone.

I have it set up so that fans are disabled under 60°C so no fan noise when idling or browsing. :)

Thank you Aaron44126, great stuff!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  4. DerMarkus

DerMarkus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Dell 7730 with bios 1.7:
    Fan control works very well after a clean restart. After hibernate executing 'DellFanCmd.exe' has no effect anymore. This means: Program executes with success but fans do not go to max speed after 'ec-disable' and control is not possible by SpeedFan anymore. Any hints ?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I am unable to reproduce this on Precision 7530 with BIOS 1.7.0. After EC control has been disabled and then a hibernate and resume, the system is in the same state that it is after a clean boot; EC is controlling fans and SpeedFan cannot, and after running "DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable", the EC lets go and SpeedFan's control works.

6. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I tested on my M6700 and it result to a BSOD, I have installed the the Visual C++ 2017 redistributable and downloaded the 1.0.0 release, I unzip the release, I open CMD with admin right, I cd to the folder then neither DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable nor the alternative one work, they both gave me BSOD.
    I'm running 3820QM/16Gb/K4000M on windows 7 64 bits Home with A19 bios.

It work "well" on precision 3510, the only thing that is not working when the "ec" is disabled is the screen brightness control throught the keyboard, since 3510 and E5570 share the same motherboard (like only few thing were differend I think it also work on the E5570 then on the E5x70, it work so well that I manage to push to 3.6GHz my I7 6820HQ and got 811pt on cinebench R15 :D

Attached Files:

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Strange since I am mostly using this on my M6700 (its annoying fan behavior is the reason I put in the effort to get this out) and it works great for me. I will admit that I have not tried it on Windows 7, though...

[Edit]
    @User32, were you using Windows 7 on your M6500 when you tried this tool and got BSOD?

8. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I tried with windows 10 and it work, I don't know if it's about windows 7 in general or it's because my windows 7 installation is somehow "corrupted", I swaped many time my msata (= windows 7) SSD between my M4700 and M6700 so maybe something happen.
    I guess this is the thing that could motivate me to switch to windows 10 LTSC on this computer

9. ja14000

ja14000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126

Thanks for your hard work, the driver has been working well for me using on a 9560. I've noticed one issue though, if the driver is active the F11 and F12 brightness keys no longer work. Pressing them does nothing but once the driver is disabled it seems like many of the F11 and F12 key presses that were ignored/held back all come through at once. Do you have any ideas on where I can start looking for a fix?

10. Mnky313

Mnky313 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can confirm works on M6700 (which you already knew) and Inspiron (Gaming) 7559.