DellFanCmd – Tool to enable manual/custom control of the laptop fans

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Aaron44126, Jan 21, 2019.

1. MikeR_Va

MikeR_Va Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My experiments so far with the 9360 suggest the following:

1. Disabling the EC will kill control with the F11/F12 keys. This can be restored in session using ClickmonitorDDC, which I like better anyway -- much more granular control.

2. If you install Clickmon, you will maintain control through modern sleep sessions IF ON AC POWER. But when I pull the plug, there's a consistent loss of control when the XPS wakes thereafter.

3. If you just kill modern sleep and treat hibernation as the new S3 sleep, you will maintain control of brightness. Of course, when I wake up from that, the print reader pretty consistently doesn't work. There's always one more glitch . . .

I should be able to fall back a couple of BIOS versions to the last one where Dell had a force S3 sleep option. I don't know if that would work better, because I've not had time to test it yet. I'd rather S3 than modern sleep anyway for my use case, so I'll likely try it at some point.

Interested to compare notes to see if this is consistent across XPS machines and generations. . . .

2. GeekZilla.com.br

GeekZilla.com.br Newbie

Reputations:
    I just gotta say, this is amazing, it´s everything the community was asking for.

Also I must add the speedfan is the way to go, HWInfo fan control is really simple and lacks advanced options to have a bios like automatic control of the fans.

Gonna PM the OP author cause he deserves a few bucks for sure. Great work!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    This finally works with my Dell Inspiron 5577 and Windows 7. Until 60C I won't here again fan noise :). Any idea how to turn off the 2nd spinning HDD? I have my system running from SSD, so the HDD should not operate unless I want access something. In advanced power settings I can set to turn it off after 1 minute of inactivity, but something in the background spins it up time to time.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Unfortunately no for the HDD, Windows has built-in options for this as you have found. You'll have to figure out what process is using it and see if you can shut that down. (Process Monitor can do this.) Windows does so much background stuff now...

5. KaNeT

KaNeT Newbie

Reputations:
    Working fine on a 7000 series 2-in-1 7779 Inspiron, Windows 10 x64, lastest BIOS - 1.26 (?).

I had to create the registry key, but everything else was fine.

Threshold set at 60° on CPU, I mostly use the laptop to code, so no fan noise at all!

Thanx a lot !

6. blastart

blastart Newbie

Reputations:
    It works very well on a Dell 5379 Inspiron too. Thank you very much for your great effort.

7. Yeet

Yeet Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an issue whenever I disable the EC fan control

Basically whenever it's disabled attempting to put the laptop to sleep instantly shuts it off

Fan control, screen brightness etc works but just not sleep

I'm using a Dell precision m4600 with windows 10

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have you tried the alternate mode? (Not sure if it'll make any difference.)

9. kekkis

kekkis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great job with this tool. I ran it with my 9360 i7 8550u and it did disable fan control and left fan running at 100%. But it also locked cpu clocks to 1,39ghz. I then used the alt mode and then it released the cpu to normal. Another observation from this is that my eternal problem with the cpu throttling to 0,89ghz on battery power is also gone. I can't say 100% if its from disabling the ec stuff or just better cooling because of 100% fan. I would still say its more to do with whatever gets disabled when i run ec-disable-alt than the cooler cpu. For me the keyboard lighting buttons still worked when using this tool.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  10. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am not a complete noob to registry editing, but I guess I am compared to everyone else in this thread. When you say make the following change with the 'UpgradedSystem' key, is that done by going to that registry folder and selecting new-> key? The options I see are new->key; string value; binary value; dword 32 bit; dword 64 bit; qword; multi string value; expandable string value. Which of these do I select?