dell xps15 9550 trackpad cracked

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by MOMO7786, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOMO7786

MOMO7786 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi
    I wonder if this has happenedd to anyone else, but while wiping my xps 15 9550(with a microfibre cloth no less) i heard what sounded like something snapping.low and behold my glass trackpada has a rather large crack through it!
    just wondering if this is a common fault as it most certainly is not expected from a 2000usd notebook!
    havnt heard of macbook trackpads cracking before!

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1st person to report it, I expect part of this is the battery swelling underneath as seems to be a common issue at the moment. I hope you have warranty as you will no doubt need battery and trackpad. At least both are really easy to swap if out of warranty.

3. Fant

Fant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since when does a 9550 come with a glass trackpad?

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Since always :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5. MOMO7786

MOMO7786 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. Didn't realize the battery could cause it...Though I've only got the laptop about 2months....But will give Dell a call today and see what they say,considering it's under warranty.
    Will keep the thread updated.
    Thanks for the response

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  6. MOMO7786

MOMO7786 Newbie

Reputations:
    ok so i have just gotten off the phone with dell, and NO they WILL NOT be replacing under warranty as there "is no evidence of a significant bulge of the trackpad" or some other bs that they judgedd by a picture that i had to send them.
    so now ill have to speak to the out of warranty team and cough up $$$ for a new trackpad.
    might just stick a dbrand skin over it and try n forget about it.....

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Time to play games with Dell, tell them this happened during normal use and you will be pursuing a small claims court settlement to get it replaced by a 3rd party company and ask to speak in the 1st instance to the resolutions team before starting proceedings to give them the chance to put it right, me personally would go back with pictures after stuffing some padding under the trackpad to simulate a swollen battery and inform then you are aware this is a common issue after reading many cases on the internet, explain it happens when warm and your initial picture was of a cold laptop once said welling had gone down.
    They can afford it so keep chipping away until they back down. Like I said head for resolutions and it may get stopped at the line manager who decides it's better to get it done now before it gets to resolutions as this puts a huge cross on the managers/supports penalty list.

8. MOMO7786

MOMO7786 Newbie

Reputations:
    i just might threaten to go to small claims court.
    but i have spoken to a local supplier who offered to try and get t resolved for me, so let me try my luck that way.
    padding however,as good as an idea it is , is just taking it abit too far for me lol.
    but the out of warranty team quoted me +- 200usd to send a technician out and replace the trackpad....
    quite crazy i think.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    actually thats not bad considering they are paying someone to come to you. Not you to them. But since it's only 2 months old, I would be on the phone every day with dell until they pay for it.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    $200 for a 10 minute job
    A fool and his money :)

I would keep going at them along with your local supplier tbh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.