Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not an expert but I have read that both EIST & SST can be activated simultaneously and the processor & O/S sort out the processes. But EIST is really laggy.

Turbo requires SpeedStep and C3 (plus C6?) states to be enabled in BIOS. The work around I use is via ThrottleStop. In BIOS I have both SpeedStep and C-States enabled. Then in ThrottleStop, I disable laggy SpeedStep but top turbo speeds remain. In ThrottleStop I disable the very laggy C1E States. There I also enable SpeedShift. These settings are verified in HWiNFO64.

EDIT - To be clear, real-time audio performance improved when I disabled C-States in BIOS. But that disabled the turbo and the processor maxed out at 2.2GHz. By enabling C-States in BIOS but killing laggy C1E states in ThrottleStop, I got the best of both worlds: turbo performance and removed the problematic C-States.

I never found a way to disable SST without turning off the computer. That said, the large Intel PDF on the first post might give you some insight.

For improved performance in real-time audio, I also noticed a difference turning off anti-virus software. Not via settings which didn't help. But in W10 pro going to Local Group Policy editor and "enabling" "turn off windows defender". I also tried removing Windows Defender for another lightweight antivirus program but that did not help. Use caution without internet!

Thanks for the insightful summary arshcaria!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well we have been told enabling speedshift in throttle stop can be done but turning off can't so I expect this is a reboot to disable job.

As for entries in the power plan I assume windows checks what is available during install and adds the features, maybe someone due to reinstall can confirm this.

3. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That might be. But obviously then Dell still has a reason not to enable/add this feature, as the majority of existing customers do not get those controls.

4. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    pressing, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Yeah, Windows Defender is a terrible performance brake. I configured its settings to not scan many things, including a lot of programs where it multiplies the start time (compressed exe) significantly. One day I might go back to Avira, where I never had these problems for the last 6 years.

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I disable defender by group policy or it is never totally turned off, it's worst than a bloody virus!

pressing likes this.
  6. arshcaria

arshcaria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just did a performance test with different EPP values.
    The test is done via building an Android project using Android Studio and measuring the consumed time.
    Building Android projects involves reading/writing/compiling a huge amount of files so it can properly test the burst performance of different EPP values of speed shift.

Code:
    EPP       0           128        192        224         255
    #1        4.614       5.04       7.697      11.615      13.657
    #2        4.518       5.69       7.842      11.641      13.932
    #3        4.366       5.006      7.679      12.067      13.735
    #4        4.27        5.025      7.859      11.899      13.6
    #5        4.239       4.915      7.708      11.92       14.023

avg        4.442      5.190      7.769      11.806      13.731

ratio      1          0.856      0.572      0.376       0.324

Time unit: seconds

Hope this can be a guideline of choosing desired EPP values with proper tradeoffs.

pressing likes this.
  7. goodwin_c

goodwin_c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As expected, between 0 and 128 there is no so much difference, but not bad battery saving. After 128 more aggressive power saving begins.

pressing likes this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Arshcaria,

That is an interesting set of statistics - thanks for taking the time to run them.

Did you run them with both SpeedShift & SpeedStep enabled? You can see that in HWiNFO64. There were some interesting related questions on the ThrottleStop Guide thread (I think). For example:

1. how do SpeedShift and SpeedStep interact? When SpeedShift runs, does SpeedStep get superseded, does it positively-neutrally-negatively impact performance?

2. How do performance of SpeedShift vs disabling C-States compare?

If you have some extra recreational time, maybe you could run a few quick independent scenarios testing:

1. Try disabling SpeedStep by unchecking that box in ThrottleStop
    2. Try disabling C1E in ThrottleStop. Those C-States seem to cause a lot of performance issues
    3. Try fully disabling C-States in BIOS

9. arshcaria

arshcaria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure how SpeedShift and SpeedStep interact, a pure guess is that SpeedStep is overridden when SpeedShift is enabled.

In my test, setting SpeedShift EPP to 0 and disabling C-States give identical performance.

1. Once you have enabled SpeedShift, disabling/enabling SpeedStep in ThrottleStop won't make any difference to the CPU frequency.
    2. Haven't tried that, maybe later I will.
    3. Haven't tried that, maybe later I will.

pressing likes this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is quite interesting! For my real-time music app you can see above that I had some differences.

Let us know if you have the opportunity

Thanks!