Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A newer ThrottleStop function introduced ~8.70 under the FIVR tab, "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits".

You may need to download a zip file to make that work on your system. Check out the ThrottleStop Guide here at nbr for more details and to see if that will work on your system.

Previously, I used older versions of ThrottleStop plus edited some registers in RW-Everything. ThrottleStop 8.70 is easier and might cover more registers.

My 9550 has a 6300HQ which is still capped by Dell at 35w (vs. 45w spec) but ThrottleStop got most of the power limits which helps performance overall.

asanganee likes this.
  2. asanganee

asanganee Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll have a go

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are several ways you can try to "confirm" EPP settings, including:

1) Look at Windows Power Options, Edit Plan Settings, Change Advanced Power Setting, "Processor Power Management", "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings", look at EPP shown for "plugged in"

2) Windows Powershell: This is the text for my Dell XPoS 9550 (if using "High Performance" Power Plan)

powercfg /query 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 36687f
    9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863

--- If I am in "Balanced" Power Plan then I replace first group of digits with (Power Scheme GUID) 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

GUID numbers and naming scheme on your system may differ.

3) You can use RWEverything or similar to read EPP (Hexdecimal) realtime via address 0x774 (CPU MSR Registers User). Caution with this program as you can brick your system easily.

4) You can just look at ThrottleStop FIVR screen "SpeedShift EPP".

In summary, Only options 3 & 4 show EPP values reliably in my experience (I just use the ThrottleStop EPP figure in FIVR, which I suppose just reads the MSR).

Options 1 & 2 are not reliable in my experience. That might depend on how your computer maker configured the BIOS on your system. Windows may request SpeedShift settings but those are controlled by the CPU (Speed Step worked differently). Changing EPP settings here does not change CPU performance on my computers (I have looked at several other Windows power settings also have zero impact).

TEST EPP VALUE You can easily see EPP values are sticking by typing in extreme EPP values in ThrottleStop's main window (EPP ranges are typically 0-255 but may be 0-64 or 0-100). Make sure you have SpeedShift enabled (ThrottleStop main window "SST" will be green fontcolor). Also make sure you have not locked/limited CPU multipliers lol. For example:

-- Typing EPP "0", I see CPU multipliers pegged near max turbo speeds 3.2GHz & EPP value "0" confirmed in the FIVR screen.

-- Typing EPP "255", I see CPU multipliers below 1GHz & EPP value "255" confirmed in the FIVR screen.
    [/FONT]​

4. JoelK

JoelK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Didn't know about this. Tested and confirmed it works REALLY, REALLY well with my 9560.
    Test: Rendering a short 8 min Full HD video filmed on my iPhone X for my school project

Before: Throttles at about 50% completion, hitting the toxic 799Mhz clock speed
    After enabling that lock thing (although i have no idea what it does, please enlighten me): Completes without throttling to 799Mhz. Maintains 3.3GHz throughout

Sidenotes: Underclocked to -120mV, repasted, padded some tiny aluminium heatsinks to the square things on the motherboard, and padded them to the back cover

As you can see: (Tho it hit 91 Deg on one of the cores...)
    [​IMG]

FIVR Settings:
    [​IMG]

pressing likes this.
  5. ja14000

ja14000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I think this option disables 'Turbo Boost Short Power Max' which allows the CPU to use 56W for a short period of time before dropping down to its standard 45W TDP.

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome post.

A few comments:

1. Try running a CPU intensive test like Prime95. Your core temps should only be a couple of degrees c different. Idle temps don't tell you much. 5*c would be too much in my view. Fix is try repasting and also check your heatsink is flat (if it is warped you need to be super careful if you try to bend it as it is uber delicate).

2. With some recent Intel chips, you need to match undervolt of GPU and iGPU unsliced. I think Intel will just ignore your undervolt request. There is more detail on the ThrottleStop Guide. Intel does not publish much information so this is trial and error. Also, if you are running low-latency processes (music, competitive gaming), undervolting the GPU can cause DPC latency issues; I don't use an undervolt for iGPU for that reason.

7. jar3259

jar3259 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why is it that in Throttlestop, it always says 128 next to Speed Shift - EPP? I change the min and max values in TPL and that affects my FID. Is it normal that I set min to 14 and max to 14 and my FID becomes 14? I see people here post about how 1 or 0 is the max performance, yet when I set it there my computer acts as if it is throttled. 255 min and 255 max is where I see it go to 3400 MHZ.
    (XPS 15 9560 i7-7700HQ, Intel Thermal Management is off, undervolted, turbo off, speedstep on)

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Papusan likes this.
  9. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone had an issue lately with the newest bios and loading a Bootable usb? I can't seem to get the usb to load the efi ufei or whatever it is Bootable drive. It just said something like "device failed to load, press any key to restart".

I have ufei secure boot turned off and legacy boot enabled. Still doesn't work...