Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While I won't ask you to take time away from family, overwatch can hang out for a few minutes while you post here ;)

Maleko48 and pressing like this.
  2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ADDITIONAL TS SCREENS:
    upload_2018-9-6_22-55-8.png

upload_2018-9-6_22-56-26.png

upload_2018-9-6_22-57-46.png

splus likes this.
  3. Maleko48

Reputations:
    The worst part is: I'm not even that good at Overwatch! lol. Oh yeah, I have also done quite a bit of boating and yard work here in Florida on the weekends this summer too. I also pulled a 6.0L Chevy Vortec LQ5 motor (related to the LS1) out of our neighbor's boat and tore it down and sent it off to the machine shop a couple of weeks ago. I'm expecting it to be ready to go back together soon, so that's another iron I've got in the fire too. My grandfather asked me to keep his 2006 Mustang driven for him too which is a little more fun than our 2008 Prius family car. I've been taking it to work a few days a week since his wife had surgery and can't drive for a while.

P.S.) I've been lurking in the shadows here since my move. I love when I have notifications to check out here on the forums. I pretty much visit these forums way more than I do my Facebook these days.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    custom90gt likes this.
  4. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the images.

2 questions:

1) Why don't you check the box for "Set Multiplier"? You seem to adjust the value but not tick the box

2) I see you undervolt the System Agent. What exactly is that and why should one UV that? Most people seem to suggest the Core, Cache, and iGPU.

5. Maleko48

Reputations:

2 ANSWERS:

1.) "Set Multiplier" is an antiquated setting for older processors and doesn't do anything for newer gen Intel CPUs afaik. The newer generation Intel CPUs are governed by more modern and efficient methods. I have those numbers adjusted mostly as a visual reminder of each profile's back page settings but I think I have messed with them since so they may not even be an accurate visual reminder at this point. The FIVR window settings are what actually matter with the way I have my machine set up. But if "Set Multiplier" works for your CPU what it does is lock your CPU in at a static clock speed, similar to a desktop processor. I'm not on my laptop right now so I may end up editing this response a bit once I double check the functionality again for myself since it has been a while since I have actively tweaked or messed with my ThrottleStop profiles and settings.

2.) System Agent is just another portion of your computing system / architecture that can have the voltage modified. The lower the voltage (while remaining stable!) the better off you are. It will conserve power and make less heat in all computing scenarios. I was under the impression all 4 were supposed to be adjusted together in sync in order to actually get the modified voltages to stick / change to the modified voltages. I could be wrong though, so I would recommend asking UncleWebb or searching around a bit over on the main Throttle Stop thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    splus likes this.
  6. ja14000

ja14000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Thanks to all of the great write-ups in this thread I have been able to enable SpeedShift in the bios and it's working perfectly within windows. I've got a few questions about how throttlestop interacts with the power throttling feature that was introduced in one of the big windows updates a while back.

- From my understanding, the windows power slider sets the EPP value for speedshift, does the value set by windows override the value set by throttlestop?
    - If I set the value in throttlestop and then move the slider, which value takes precedence? From what I have seen the power slider value seems to always win out.

I'd appreciate any input.

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    >> SpeedShift is CPU based and should take precedence over Windows power schemes in general but I don't have that power slider on my system so can't test.
    You can just go into Windows PowerShell and look at EPP differences based on your slider. Use the following command:

powercfg -qh

For example, you might find something like:

Power Setting GUID: 36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863 (Processor energy performance preference policy)
    GUID Alias: PERFEPP
    Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
    Maximum Possible Setting: 0x00000064
    Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
    Possible Settings units: %
    Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000021
    Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000032

The red can change with your EPP adjustments

The scales are all over the place for EPP but don't let that confuse you. Above they are 0-64. In Intel and Throttlestop docs you see 0-255. In Windoze Power Options you might see 0-100. In those cases 64=255=100, respectively.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Vasudev, ja14000 and Maleko48 like this.
  8. ja14000

Reputations:

Thanks for the info, I just tried the powercfg /qh command and the output is always exactly what you posted above regardless of the whatever I put in throttlestop / the power slider. I know they are both working because if I set the EPP to 255 in throttlestop the CPU won't go to it's max frequency, similarly, if I set the power slider to 'battery saver' the cpu is very hesitant to increase it's clockspeed.

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In ThrottleStop, are you sure SpeedShift is activated? If it is, you will see the letters "SST" in green on the main page.

In the FIVR page, can you confirm the EPP level in the white chart. Try both 0 and 255. And compare that to the powercfg outputs.

The only change you should see in the powercfg output will be:
    Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000021

Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000032

10. ja14000

Reputations:
    I've got the green SST and in FIVR I can now see the current EPP value. It seems my suspicions were correct, the windows power slider overrides the value set by Throttlestop unless you have the slider set to 'Best Performance' then the value from throttle stop takes over.

Another way to stop windows updating the EPP value is to change your performance plan to one that is not 'balanced' or based on 'balanced'. If you switch to the 'High Performance' power plan the power slider disappears and the value set in Throttlestop takes precidence.

pressing likes this.