Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. teq9er

teq9er Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a 9570 with the 1.05 bios that enabled speedshift. The setting is not checked in throttlestop but it does show SST. I want to create some throttlestop profiles to use, so was wondering if leaving the setting unchecked the same as checking it and setting it to 128?

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can ask @unclewebb on the ThrottleStop Guide for a definitive answer.

Since your BIOS is enabling SST, I think the checkbox in ThrottleStop does not matter for you. Once SST is enabled, I think the only way to disable is by powering down, sleeping.

I use ThrottleStop to quickly change EPP manually and find it very convenient; let us know if that works in profiles for the 9570 with the newest Win10.

3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you know where the new windows (1804) stores the setting for EPP?
    I believe the new slider does change the EPP value.

More generally, I would really like to know what every position in the slider exactly implies (not just for the EPP) and where to change it.

pressing likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We are working on this question now; check your email. You still can set EPP in ThrottleStop fortunately.

In the meantime, you can figure out what the settings are doing by running this as administrator for each position. It will spit out a text file and you can figure out what is changing.

powercfg -qh >C:\report.txt

This tome is one helpful resource to define many settings and their parameters

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...eveloper-system-programming-manual-325384.pdf

Vasudev and abujafar like this.
  5. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've Speedshift enabled; so should i disable Speedstep or not? How do they work together?

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Disable speedstep and C1E in ThrottleStop. In BIOS, leave it be. If you're running or dual booting older OS which aren't speedshift aware will hang whilst installing OS.

7. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @pressing

Go into registry and go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power\PowerSettings\] and then , Check if DWORD Attributes exists , If it doesn’t create it by going to Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, Set Attributes to 2 by double clicking/tapping the Atributes key and entering 2.
    Example you will find it here on the registry exactly :)

Untitled.png

You will see this option like this image below on Power Options :) once you find it.. simply put it 0% which means Full Performance ;) and if you put it at 50% it means you are using 128 EPP so if you keep increasing you will go towards power saving and if you keep decreasing you will go towards performance. Every different percentage have different EPP numbers of course :)
    Example:-
    upload_2018-7-7_2-35-57.png

Example after putting it to 0% you will realize you will have full CPU speed :)
    3.6 GHz CPU.jpg

Or

You can simply go to this link https://gist.github.com/Nt-gm79sp/1f8ea2c2869b988e88b4fbc183731693
    and it will un-hide all the hidden windows power settings :) without needing to play with the registry but.. I always provide the hard way & the easy way :D I got it from @Vasudev Post :) http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-814#post-10759409

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    pressing, Vasudev and abujafar like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That autonomous settings require BIOS support. Otherwise no option at all. Hahaa. Alteast I must thank AW for not overriding TS EPP_HWP through Win 10.

pressing and THEBOSS619 like this.
  9. kilimats

kilimats Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a guide out there for XPS 9560 owners on how to setup TS? i am a bit lost with all the tips out there, i want my laptop to perform at its best while maintaining quiet fans,

here is my current setup, anything i should change? i feel the undervolting part is not set right as i didnt notice any improvement in temperature.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Turn your turbo ratio limits down. I'll share my setup with you later tonight when I get home. 38 will keep your CPU running at top speed. Also turn on C1E for more precise voltage stepping.