Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. teq9er

teq9er Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a 9570 with the 1.05 bios that enabled speedshift. The setting is not checked in throttlestop but it does show SST. I want to create some throttlestop profiles to use, so was wondering if leaving the setting unchecked the same as checking it and setting it to 128?

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can ask @unclewebb on the ThrottleStop Guide for a definitive answer.

Since your BIOS is enabling SST, I think the checkbox in ThrottleStop does not matter for you. Once SST is enabled, I think the only way to disable is by powering down, sleeping.

I use ThrottleStop to quickly change EPP manually and find it very convenient; let us know if that works in profiles for the 9570 with the newest Win10.

3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you know where the new windows (1804) stores the setting for EPP?
    I believe the new slider does change the EPP value.

More generally, I would really like to know what every position in the slider exactly implies (not just for the EPP) and where to change it.

pressing likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We are working on this question now; check your email. You still can set EPP in ThrottleStop fortunately.

In the meantime, you can figure out what the settings are doing by running this as administrator for each position. It will spit out a text file and you can figure out what is changing.

powercfg -qh >C:\report.txt

This tome is one helpful resource to define many settings and their parameters

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...eveloper-system-programming-manual-325384.pdf

Vasudev and abujafar like this.