Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And did anyone ever verify it works? The description text makes me think this is Speed Step...

2. g.achrainer

g.achrainer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, definitely different. Noticeable enhancement for my demand (coding)

3. konradsa

konradsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anybody tried the EFI hack on a recent XPS 9360 with most recent BIOS and can confirm it works? I would like to try it, but it seems risky and there doesn't seem much feedback on this method yet. Does it really require Windows reinstall after enabling it? Coil whine issues afterwards?

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    User @hakujou tried this as noted below but I don't know if he used on on any BIOS more recent than autumn 2017. I don't know if anyone else has tried it on his [edit 9530]. You can see more details in first post, in other comments, or contract @Hakujou directly. Also you can easily run SST with free ThrottleStop software

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  5. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I am very confused what to set in Throttlestop on my 9570. Do I tick the box that says "Speed Shift - EPP" and if I do, what number do I set it to? It's currently at 128. The lower the number means the more likely (or quicker?) the intel will want to turbo? I assume this generates more heat? Or perhaps there's an argument that the quicker the chip gets to turbo and get its task out of the way, the quick it'll go back down in clock.

pressing likes this.
  6. konradsa

konradsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, ThrottleStop alone on 9360 doesn't seem to be sufficient for enabling SpeedShift, you need to also hack the Bios. I followed amazing instructions and went ahead and did it on 9360 with latest BIOS 2.6.2. The address is still the same, and it worked without a hitch. After rebooting, SST was enabled according to HWiNFO64 without having to change anything in Throttlestop. Don't hear any increase in coil whine either, but may just be more due to my age rather than anything else. :)

pressing likes this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell provided full SpeedShift support for the 9570. Go to the BIOS and enable there. (You don't need ThrottleStop)

You should be able to set EPP in the Windows control panel > power options (not sure exact place in new version of Windows 10).

EPP = 0 for max performance
    EPP = 255 (or 100%) for max battery life
    EPP=128 (~33%) is a balance (but prevents max turbo
    EPP~ 80 probably gives you a balance but allows max turbo speeds (you need to test on your system

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm surprised that you could not get ThrottleStop to work but maybe a new BIOS or Win 10 issue.

Fantastic!

I don't think anyone ever figured reliably what drives coil whine on these (well the coils). Some machines might be less prone. Some BIOS might be less prone. It might be impossible to hear in a loud room or for people with imperfect hearing. May be an indicator that 2.6.2 reduces coil whine vs. other BIOS versions so maybe worth a try for others.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. konradsa

konradsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Throttlestop does work, but you can't enable SpeedShift from there on the XPS 9360, you can only adjust the EPP value once it's enabled.

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.