Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a tweak that "increases" TDP posted somewhere at nbr.

Actually, I think this is just a trick to prevent premature throttling but it does not change TDP. The power bits struggle to supply base current out of the factory so boosting TDP won't happen in the tiny Dell XPS 15.

Maleko48 likes this.
  2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I was messing around with TS and broke my deeper sleep states along with my Windows 10 installation. After a normal reboot my Win10 said it could not sign need in to my account and signed into a generic account which told me to sign out of in order to get back into my machine which I did and it worked. However, my indexing appears to have gotten switched off along with the shutdown screen color becoming desynced from the color settings, but not my task bars or oher UI portions. After performing a SFC operation successfully howecer, I am now locked out of my primary account. Every time I sign in it reloads the sign in screen again. I am a little scared, but optimistic I can figure sonesomet out.

UPDATE:
    I was able to sign in successfully in safe mode. Then after a reboot I was able to sign in to Win10 normally. However, my shutdown screen color is still desynced and won't resync no matter what I toggle.

SOLUTION:
    https://www.tenforums.com/customiza...creen-color-wont-change-after-corruption.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Maleko48

Reputations:
    For anyone this might help, I figured out another cause of missing deep sleep states:

Originally the AHCI link state of "HIPM" was what caused my laptop to only go as deep as C2, but upon switching the setting to "Lowest" it immediately began allowing my CPU Package State go up to C7. However, earlier today I mentioned randomly losing C3+ states and having the occasional funny logins (after I chose to reboot the laptop) that I could not figure out. Well I use the stock Windows power profile "Balanced" in addition to a higher performance profile "Bitsum Highest Performance | AKA: BHP" that gets installed by one of my system optimization apps I like to run called Process Lasso. What I discovered with the random losses of deep sleep was that it did not matter which power plan I was on or however I toggled my advanced power setting's AHCI link option. Restarts, shutdowns, and several combinations thereof made no difference either- being careful to think like a computer and do everything methodically.

After enough system reboots and trial and error it hit me...

Whenever my system boots with BHP power plan, no amount of profile switching, app resetting, toggling of settings or power plans can bring back my deeper sleep states. Subsequently switching to Balanced power plan will not fix it either. However, after switching to the Balanced power plan I can either reboot or just sleep and resume my laptop and when it comes back up my deeper sleep states are back, and what's more I can even switch to BHP power plan now (as long as I booted with the stock "Balanced" plan) and retain my deeper sleep states which, to me, suggests it's not the custom power plan itself causing the issue.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't use the "Bitsum Highest Performance" anymore. SpeedShift & EPP do core control most efficiently at the CPU level (rather than via Windows) for Skylake and newer chips. The BHP other settings do not make a meaningful difference for my programs or are not applicable.

The bitsum site (along with the Intel PDF above) provides some great information and is worth a visit.

5. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Either way, a custom power plan (whether I create it myself or it is created by a program I use that has never caused me any issues before) should not cause this behavior and loss of deeper sleep (and in fact it doesn't, but only when first booted from the stock Balanced power plan that Windows likes more). I still enjoy using Process Lasso because it really saves my OS responsiveness when loaded heavily and I use it to tweak program priorities and other useful features it offers. (Although I do think it is even more beneficial on Win7.) I understand Skylake+ manages themselves at the hardware level best, which is what I am allowing them to do, with the assistance of ThrottleStop of course to set my target clock speeds and energy savings- I have no issues there. I do notice a difference with the BHP power plan due to it setting the advanced power settings that Windows usually hides to be more aggressive and performance-oriented. Again, I think this was a bigger deal on Windows 7 than Windows 10, but the advanced hidden power settings really do make a difference when tuned correctly by the right person seeking performance over all else. I do try to visit the Bitsum site from time to time. I think the creator is a solid guy and very knowledgeable.

pressing likes this.
  6. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vasudev, pressing and Maleko48 like this.
  7. van_on

van_on Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Tried EFI bios tweak on my 9560 (i7-7700) running under Windows 7.
    HWInfo shows 'SST' as red.
    0x4BC shows as 0x1.

Enabled SST using ThrottleStop 8.60 only.

Any advices?
    Should I try setup_var 0xD8 0x1 (which is for 9550)?

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Vasudev and pressing like this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Per @unclewebb , SpeedShift should work on any operating system as it is a feature included in your Kaby Lake CPU.

Do NOT use the 9550 variable. That could brick your system. Reread the thread starting with comments from @Rockstar75 and @goodwin_c . I simply run SpeedShift with the free ThrottleStop software. It allows me quick access to a bunch of settings I regularly use (EPP, undervolt, shutting off c-states).

[/quote]

To check if SpeedShift is enabled, here are two easy ways:

- ThrottleStop (SST will be green text in main panel).
    - HWiNFO64 will indicate (SST will be green text in main panel).

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    van_on and Vasudev like this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    New 9570 has BIOS support for SpeedShift.

[​IMG]

Thanks to @woohoo7676 for image and update

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I thought it was Dell cmd center. Actually, Dell XPS BIOS UI is simple. Too bad they didn't revamp the BIOS UI for AW and others.

c69k likes this.