Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. sebbe1991

sebbe1991 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My 9350 i7 iris has speed shift enabled by default

pressing likes this.
  2. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, thats just what they told me :). I enabled it with a script and RWEverything. Then I used throttlestop and HWiNFO to check if it is working and everything seems to be fine.
    It would be great to be able to get it as an Option in BIOS and not via script. Lets see...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    pressing likes this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the confirmation!

Thanks for the recommendations. We are walking a fine line so need to be diplomatic. The Dell team tend to ignore selected threads. But a little positive motivation via active forums and polite service calls should encourage the engineers to see that users are excited about a very cool feature (that is easy to implement).

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I find it hard to be polite to the tech dealing with me at Dell after telling me they had a firmware update for the Samsung SSD then sending me a frigging driver.

pressing likes this.
  5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is great news Sebbe.

I. On the 9350 do you have the ability to ramp up EPP to max performance (0) via BIOS? That is a very powerful feature.

II. Alternatively, out of the factory, was there an adjustable EPP dropdown menu? a. Go to "Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>...Advanced Power settings>"

b. Navigate to "Power options" window and the "Advanced Settings" tab

c. then you scroll down and click the "+" sign on "processor power management"

d. then there should be a row titled something like "processor energy performance preference policy". Clicking on the "+" sign there you should be able to adjust from 0% to 100%. I assume 0% gives you max performance and 100% will be max efficiency (but super laggy performance). Try adjusting as the difference is immediately obvious to the user experience.

On my 9550 the "Processor energy performance preference policy" option did not show up on the "power options". I "unhid" the dropdown but there are just dummy variables that do not work...

6. Muffinsaurus_Rex

Muffinsaurus_Rex Newbie

Reputations:
    pressing likes this.
  7. sebbe1991

sebbe1991 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I. No i can't do anthing like that.
    II. No, i can't see any preference policy, only min processor, max processor and cooling policy...

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It appears Dell is not providing Speed Shift BIOS support on the brand new 9360 Kaby Lake XPS 13 : (

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-514

The above post shows how to add ThrottleStop to the Task Scheduler so you can make sure that Speed Shift is enabled whenever your computer is running. It also shows why you need to restart HWiNFO after the status of Speed Shift has changed.

@pressing - Enabling Speed Shift can interfere with many of the throttling schemes that manufacturers have dreamed up over the last six years. There must be some reason why Dell is still hesitant to turn on Speed Shift in their recent laptops. They have had over a year to think about this and still nothing. :(

Rockstar75 and pressing like this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed.

But there are some important caveats here:

0. Speed Shift was an important selling point of Intel's Skylake product line (importantly, there weren't many compelling selling points for Skylake HQ chips)

1. Speed Shift has enjoyed full support of Intel and Micro$oft for over a year

2. Speed Shift works fine via ThrottleStop 8.3x

3. Dell's review of drivers and firmware for the 9550 has been cursory (at best) so there is clearly no corporate mandate to provide anything beyond minimal testing or QC for Speed Shift (or anything for that matter)

With respect to item #3, you may not know that Dell released the 9550 in beta form a year ago. The BIOS and many of the drivers were absolutely atrocious. After about 6 months, most of the bugs were worked out. After a year, there are still a few major issues (e.g. flickering problem with the 4k screen, challenges with some nvme drives).

Nobody appreciates being sold X but receiving X-Y