Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    After trying the BIOS based speed shift tweak and the registry tweaks to expose the options, responsiveness on battery is much better.

pressing likes this.
  2. Hakujou

Hakujou Newbie

Reputations:
    Just a little tip : the EFI var for 9360 is 0x4AD. You can set it using the guide for 9550/9560, just replace the var by 0x4AD. Careful : it's risky and could lead to bricks.
    I just set mine to 0x1 and after a Windows reinstallation (was needed for some reason), SST enabled by default.

pressing likes this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for taking the time to hack the 9360 and post here Hakujou. I have referenced your EFI tips on the first page.

Hakujou likes this.
  4. Hakujou

Hakujou Newbie

Reputations:
    For some reason, the coil whine (which was inaudible after latest BIOS update) is very audible when SpeedShift is enabled on 9360.
    Don't enable it for you don't want the coil whine. Under high load, it's really loud.

pressing likes this.
  5. Don16

Don16 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey all, Sorry for using this thread but i want to ask guys who unlocked speedshift option via variable. Would you want to look into also unlocking lowest brightness levels on 9560? This option was available in 9550 on older BIOS, but it was removed by dell later. When 9560 was released, it already had the latest 9550 bios with this option removed. Is there anyone who would like to experiment with this please? I would even pay money if this option would get unclocked.

But the only way I can think of re-enabling this, would be to compare the BIOS version of the 9550 that implemented this fix to the previous version. Then write down all of the changed data, and use a BIOS editor to edit the 9560 with each of those changes (one at a time).

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You really need to give up on this, the panels are not capable of PWM below 20% without flicker and as Dell couldn't fix it we had to accept that this model never came with the option.
    you missed the feet stamping on the 9550 that went on for a couple of years so nothing will change for this.

If it is really that bright for you put sunglasses on :rolleyes:

If you must persist with this do it on the Dell forums but don't expect much help as we all know the answer.

7. Don16

Don16 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would give up if this was true but it is not. Notebookcheck tested the uhd screen at lowest brightness and it didnt flicker. Only the FHD model does.

See here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...HD-InfinityEdge-Notebook-Review.156462.0.html

I am trying to find options on how to unlock this please.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Probably because the BIOS for the 9560 never had the brightness level you are looking for, and you linked to a review on the 9550.

If you want it that bad go to a BIOS modding forum and get some help taking the BIOS apart to find what you are looking for, unfortunately, I expect this to be hidden in the system board map and not the part of the BIOS we are modding for speedshift so you have little hope in finding the answer.

9. Don16

Don16 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

So there really is not other way than please Dell to implement this option back. God damn :/

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Why would they implement a fault?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk