Dell XPS Speed Shift

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by pressing, Oct 8, 2016.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have had this set for a while and it doesn't enable SST, that only happens when MSR 0x770 is run.

pressing likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Uncle Webb for the detailed post. I successfully was able to add the 3 new settings in power options. Unfortunately, they seem to display dummy variables:

- changing data in power options window does not have any effect on system (per HWiNFO64 and powercfg query)
    - displayed data in power options window may or may not be correct (per HWiNFO64 and powercfg query)
    - displayed data in power options window does not change (even with change in ThrottleStop, powercfg, rweverything - even after full shut down)

Similarly, powercfg commands and queries are not 100% reliable around SpeedShift

I did manage to enable SpeedShift via RWEverything but I couldn't get the other nifty SpeedShift options working with any certainty (I used powercfg so there is probably a better way via MSR 0x771 but that is above my pay grade).

So until a Dell 9550 BIOS update comes down the pike, ThrottleStop is an easy way of accessing these settings. . .

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    From the "horses" mouth, followed by my reply.

me

pressing, Rockstar75 and Woodking like this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks GonZ0. I will harass Dell on the BIOS upgrade today.

I would encourage everyone here to call Dell and request SpeedStep be enabled via the upcoming BIOS update - Thanks!

5. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thats funny,

I asked Dell in May about SpeedShift and the answer was, that SpeedShift ist already enabled, but not showing up in HWInfo64...They told me in May, that this will be solved by another BIOS Version. Now they say that the feature will not be available. Funny. I can provide my emails with my conversation if necessary but it is in german.

pressing likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Keep harassing them and escalating to senior engineers... This is a nice performance upgrade that is easy for Dell to implement in the next BIOS...

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I wrote Dell Support to ask them which answer of them is right...As I said, they told me SpeedShift is supported but not shown right by HWInfo and you are told, that it will never be supported. I think somethings not right in their answers :)

pressing likes this.
  9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Because they don't know sh!t

Sent from my SM-G920F

naturecannon and pressing like this.
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Just for the record, HWiNFO works fine. If Speed Shift is enabled and you start HWiNFO, SST will be green. This confirms that Speed Shift is enabled. You might need to restart the HWiNFO System Summary page after enabling Speed Shift to update the SST flag. If you have a laptop with a bios that properly enables SST, make sure to test that SST is still green after resuming from Stand By.

Be careful how much noise you make. Dell banned me from their forums for being a little too vocal. Sadly, the cheapest way to fix some problems is to just not talk about them and hope that no one important notices.

Rockstar75 and pressing like this.