Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 3*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by BatBoy, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmassey31545

pmassey31545 Whats the mission sir?

Reputations:
    I do and yes, they do 'spin up' a lot more. Said they changed a few things to try to keep it cooler. Mine come on at 57-58C on my GPU and shut off right after. Seems like the fans are set to come on at 58, and shut off at 57. Makes a small window and thats why you hear more of the on/off action. Not a big deal for me. Now if you are idling at 57-58, i could see it being an issue bc they would be doing it constantly. But mine idle around 49-50 so for me-no biggie. Haven't really noticed the CPU doing it so much. I'm idling about 42 there.
    I use a program called I6kfangui when I want to have better control of the fans. Works pretty good. BUt most of the time, I just let the BIOS handle it.

2. msuspartan

msuspartan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    kimlo that battery looks pretty good. It does seem to look the same too. Let me know which one you get from the sites and how it works out for you... Thanks
    By the way kimlo the battery I Just got from dell the other day, after it's fully charged and I unplug the computer... with the power plan set to balanced I get about 2 and a half hours.

3. msuspartan

Reputations:
    pmassey, mine must idle around 57-58 then because I hear the fans changing quite frequently. I haven't been using the computer for games lately... just light work. My xps sits on a wood desk so it possibly could generate heat more, but i notice while i move my system to another area while it's on the fans seem to finally slow down quite a bit.

4. msuspartan

Reputations:
    WOW!!! This thing works great! Installed the N 6300 and and the drivers from intel. Getting an excellent connection from where I had poor before.

5. spradhan01

spradhan01 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have a XPS M1730 where the warranty is expiring this week.
    When I talked to DELL, they said it was around $320 after tax for 1 year with Inhome service.
    Did anyone know if that's the lowest or they are just giving me a wrong quota?

6. pmassey31545

pmassey31545 Whats the mission sir?

Reputations:
    Sounds close to right. I just extended mine till Oct 2012 and it costed $436. Had to py the $50 fee for reinstatement bc the previous owner let it expire, but I figure it is well worth it.

7. kimlo

kimlo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Msuspartan, I emailed that site they don't do overseas deliveries.
    2.5 hours is awesome though! That would actually make the laptop usable away from the powerpoint because right now it feels like I get half an hour from it.

I'm most likely going to get the battery from eBay.

8. DDT5

DDT5 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's great. Good to know the beast supports this wifi card.

9. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    Anyone tested the duke demo yet?

10. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    Well im gonna reply to maself lol.
    Demo runs maxed out (FSAA) but with only one card, as both xp 275.33/Seven hasnt a profile for it yet (at least not for multi gpu,just for singles with AA flags).

So the whole demo, maxed out at 1200p, runs around 35fps stable with FSAA enabled.
    Without FSAA and Vsync it goes from 35.4 till 59.4, mostly 40-45 average.

FSAA does impact a bit the framerate and visual quality but nothing biggie really. At 1200p on our screen hardly you need any AA.

So when a sli profile will kick in i bet we can do 60fps constant with either FSAA or FXAA (nvidia own MLAA) enabled, if not more.

And the demo rocks...duke is back :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.