1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell XPS M1530 Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jerry Jackson, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluffboy

fluffboy Notebook Evangelist

go to the xps section!! this is the m1530 review...youd get more answers there ;)

2. tipoo

tipoo Notebook Evangelist

This thing needs a refresh soon.

3. woodsier

woodsier Notebook Enthusiast

Guys, I had the XPS M1530 overheating issue, the one where in intensive tasks it would get too hot on the left side of the laptop, almost where it was painful to have your hand resting there.

My GPU would get up to 90 degrees.

Want to know what I did? Took the large L-shaped panel on the back off, got a cotten stick (kind you clean your ear out with) and cleaned out the dust I could find in the fan. Then I blew into the OUTLET in the back of the computer and quite a bit of junk came out. I kept on blowing for like 20 seconds from one end to the other. Turns out, because the fan and outlet is so very small, any amount of dust or what looked like small bits of lint makes a huge difference to the ability for it to do it's job. I'd suggest you do this with compressed air if you want to do the job properly.

Now, 1 year on, after having a laptop that idle'd at 90 degrees GPU, I have a computer that hasn't had it go over 70 degrees since.

Granted, I still have CPU temps go up to 68 degrees, I'm not sure if that is good or not. Point is, the metal is no longer hot to the touch - at all. And I no longer have to elevate the laptop in order to prevent extreme pain from the heat.

4. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

You should post this information here in the XPS forum: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1049

It would be very useful information to the other 1530 owners ;) :cool:

Cin ;) :)

5. pepoluna

pepoluna Newbie

It's a great machine
    but I have encountered three mayors problems with it:
    problem 1: it has only three wich in fact are two usb ports because they are so much near themselves that you probably may found imposible to use three at the same time and this is problematic when you ever use a port with your mouse and only rest one usb for general pourpouse.
    problem 2: the machine has not cath to secure the screen to the base and when you walk with it you can feel little knocks and it's not so nice.
    problem 3: the grey aluminium top cover which is next to the keyboard discharges you electric shocks if you touch it bearfoot.
    so I hope engineers let's hand on work and fix these problems soon
    cheers

6. strick48

strick48 Newbie

Ok, so i have had my notebook for about 18 months now, im just looking for some feedback on my situation. let me first say that I love my computer, however, it is not without its faults. For one the battery life is now , as well as the fact that the warranty has far expired. I would like to hear from some fellow owners about the practicality of upgrading several parts of the notebook i.e. (hard drive {current 136 gig}, battery replacement which is almost completely useless, and ram upgrade {2gig} to 4 gig). My research has resulted in about a cost of $200 for the whole shabang of upgrades. plz relay some feedback about this extra investment because if it is worth it to keep this machine for several years to come I would have no problem with that, but to input another 200 into an already 1500 dollar machine if its not worth it seems impractical. just want to know if its worth my time/$$$$

7. geneticaurora

geneticaurora Newbie

Ive got the DELL XPS 1530 Circa 2008 Intel Core2Duo T8400, 4gb DDR3 Dual Channel Ram, 320gb 7200pm Toshiba Hardisk, 256mb Dedicated Nvidia 8600GT Graphics Card, Blu-Ray-RW (Yes it writes blu ray discs) Cost me allot but I gotta say worth every single penny. It wipes the floor with anything Apple can come up with and I am sorry but yes Sony you have met your match in every single dept. For a 15inch laptop to be this well speced I dont feel the need to have a desktop at the moment. I am constantly gob smacked at its performance. This laptop is gonna be one of those classics in a few years time and so it should be. Do you know of any 15inch laptop that beat this Dell. I doubt it. In my opinion nothing can touch it. Although I wish I waited and got the HD screen and better soundcard but thats my only negative. However I plugged this into a full HD TV and it actually beat my Panasonic BD60 player. This says allot!

8. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

My circa 2008 penryn 8600mGT based notebook is still going strong as well. Granted it barely games and seems to be running out of breath at work, but the lappy still boots up every morning and works all day and night for me. But soon it will become a trusty server as I dont think I have ever beat on a laptop this hard and have it still feel and run like the day I bought it 2+ years ago. Sadly the new vostro is 16:9 or I would have easily chosen that over the high end notebooks I have been looking at.

9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

I'm glad you enjoy your machine, but I can name quite a few.

10. subheight640

subheight640 Notebook Geek

God I hate the m1530. The thing is constantly breaking. Right now the keyboard's f'ed up and I've already replaced it like 3+ times. Always overheating, even after I blow the dust out. Motherboard has been replaced like 4 times and counting. Thank God for the 3 year warranty.

11. jamesbebby

jamesbebby Newbie

Hi, I would like to update my XPS1530, Its coming up to 3 year old now.
    Can someone please point me in the right direction???
    Cheers James

12. subheight640

subheight640 Notebook Geek

This is sorta the wrong place to post that, you should look in the laptop suggestion forums. But I've been shopping for a replacement too and settled with the HP Elitebook 8540w.

Other laptops in the same class are:

Sager NP8690 - optimized for gaming
    Sager NP5135 - cheaper.
    Asus G51, G53 - High end gaming machines.
    The new Dell XPS series or the XPS 16's.
    Lenovo T510's, W510's.
    HP Elitebooks
    Apple Macbook Pro

13. nikebill

nikebill Newbie

but i found one 12cell battery, i thinkp it can last long time, would you like to order one and test the batery life

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.