1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell XPS M1330 Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goren

Goren Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

should I get my M1330 soon (also considering cancelling it and going for the much cheaper Vostro 1400).. I'll do some comparisons with my friend's macbook.

2. Topspin14m

Topspin14m Notebook Consultant

Walter Mossberg (from the WSJ) has a mini review of the m1330 today. He says a reboot took 4 minutes. Andrew or Jerry, did you notice that the boot time was this painfully slow? I mean that sounds like a really terrible load time...

3. CodeMonkeyX

CodeMonkeyX Notebook Deity

Walt Mossberg is in the pocket of Steve Jobs. They see the XPS M1330 as a direct competitor to the Macbook and Macbook Pro product lines (plus future products?).

I have listened to some of his review on the net and it's quite pathetic sometimes. :p

But that being said, did you notice any slow boot problems? LOL :D

4. ltcommander_data

ltcommander_data Notebook Deity

Even though Apples can run Windows now I just don't see the M1330 as a direct competitor to the MacBook. I still delineate between an Apple and a PC and I don't have a particularly high opinion of the MacBook because of the IGP. If you want to step into the Apple world, the MacBook is a good choice but that's it. The M1330 I see as an example of a very good higher-end ultra-portable laptop PC with PC being the operative word. Now I could see Apple's rumoured 12" MacBook Pro being the M1330's competitor since they would both be higher-end products, likely with similar capabilities. Other than being an Apple, I don't think the MacBook has what it takes to directly compete against the M1330.

5. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator NBR Reviewer

Others have commented about Mr. Mossberg's credibility and I won't flame a fellow journalist.

What I will say is that we never experienced such painfully slow boot times with our M1330. The slowest reboot (following numerous Windows updates and driver installations) took somewhere around one minute ... probably less but I didn't time it.

I've seen strange errors with other systems where reboot takes several minutes, but we did not experience this with the M1330.

6. link1313

link1313 Notebook Virtuoso

I'm just saying the average person (me) can't fully comprehend certain things the same way you guys can. I just mentioned the screen comment as an example, I didn't mean to imply that the way you do reviews is flawed because it most certainly isn't (if it was I wouldn't be visiting this site). You guys are the experts and I am not , when you look at the review/write it you see the "the screen is amazing" comment and subconsciously know that means its better than laptop X/Y/Z's screen, while when I look at that comment I have no idea what to think other than "oh , cool". I also just mentioned the two subsets of the screen category, contrast ratio and brightness, as an example of what to include to help the average person understand, as spec sheets hardly ever give specific monitor details.

I hope you didn't take my comment in the wrong way I was trying to add constructive criticism. Its hard to convey exactly what I'm trying to say so the next time I do a review I guess i'll have to show you what I mean.

7. terryw

terryw Notebook Consultant

hi, jerry and andrew, did you guys make a mistake when qouting the weight with a 6 cell in the beginning of your review? I was under the assumption that you have had access to a 4 cell and a 9 cell but did not have a 6 cell.

but if true, being only 4lb flat with a 6 cell is really good imo.

thanks

8. CodeMonkeyX

Well for us know, because we care a lot about speed and specs etc. But a lot of consumers do not care too much if its OSX or Windows, Core 2 or Pentium, they just want something that looks cool.They go into best buy and look at the case, open the cd tray, and say looks cool.

Dell is clearly going after the people who want a Mac because it looks cool more than anything else. In that respect I, and due to the size, I think that Dell is going after the Mac market here.

9. CodeMonkeyX

Well all I know is that very few people got an iPhone pre-release for a review. David Poage (I can not spell it) and Mossberg were two of them. And it just so happens that they give it a great review, and most other Apple products. As well as many soft ball interviews with Jobs.

Just saying keep that in mind with his reviews, he might be impartial but personally I feel he is a little biased. :p

10. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

We had the 6 and 9.

11. rbg08

rbg08 Notebook Consultant

It's my understanding that weight with 4-cell = 3.97lbs, 6-cell = 4.2~4.3, and 9-cell = 4.5~4.6.

12. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Now...is that weight with LED or LCD as there is a weight difference there. Also Im curious how it would be further reduced with the solid state drive as that is also significantly lighter...

Anyone an idea??? 4 cell with LED and the solid state??

13. rbg08

rbg08 Notebook Consultant

I believe 3.97lbs is the minimum configurable weight. I would guess the LCD weight difference is around 0.1lbs. The SSD would be even less of a weight difference.

14. macclayton

macclayton Newbie

Does anyone know what affect on heat and battery life going to a 7200 spin rate hard drive on the 1330 would have?

15. terryw

i think i read 3.87 as the weight for 4 cell with led screen, not sure

16. terryw

Andrew Brian or Jerry do you guys think the M1330 will be as comfortable to use on an airplane's limited seating space as the M1220? i remember reading a recent article on this site about how great it was to have the M1220 form factor on an airplane. The M1330 might weigh less, but it seem to be noticeably bigger footprint.

also, does the brightness adjustment have dedicated buttons? or do you do it via the Fn key + up/down arrow?

thanks

17. snowbro

snowbro Notebook Geek

Regarding the heat of a 7200rpm harddrive...several reviews of these harddrives mention no appreciable difference to 5400rpm drives, so I'm hoping this is the case. I ordered the 200 GB Hitachi 7200 rpm with my unit ;)

18. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator NBR Reviewer

Airplane seating space is always at a premium. However, if you didn't have a problem using the M1220 you should be fine with the M1330.

The brightness adjustment was a Fn key combo with the up and down arrows.

19. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

If you read 3.87 and then we throw in the solid state drive which would reduce it by another .09 lb I could be not far off the 3 3/4 lb laptop mark and for a 13 inch monitor???

Like it.

20. terryw

cool thanks for the quick response (i did misspell the model name, its m1210 instead of m1220)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.