1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell XPS M1330 - nVidia GeForce 8400M GS - Copper Mod

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sinstoic, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Is the Guide useful? Did you Mod?

1. Guide: Yes. Mod: Yes.

264 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Guide: Yes. Mod: No.

145 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Guide: No. Mod: Yes.

4 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Guide: No. Mod: No.

25 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. bronx80

bronx80 Notebook Enthusiast

yeah... I've done this copper mod, but can't say much about temperatures as I haven't checked them before failure. now it's like 58-60 C deg. idle and below 80 on heavier use. I'll do some tests tomorrow, but that damn thing came back from the dead and it's a sweet thing. imagine, my only computer for last month was se xperia pda.

2. chad72

chad72 Newbie

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod...

I ordered the shim from ebay and installed it with AC5 today. Wow, what a difference!

I'm using Linux on my M1330 and previously the fan was running 80-90% of the time @ high speed. As a result battery life was atrocious, not to mention the laptop being extremely hot to the touch (and noisy).

I updated the BIOS as per Dell; this really did nothing. Cleaned out the fan with compressed air (this helped quite a bit) and finally today I installed the shim.

The Nvidia GPU is now much cooler, 41C at idle (down from 60C+).
    The CPU cores are now 30-34C at idle, which is also a HUGE improvement.

This is really where I expect the temps to be in any notebook and now consider the issue fixed and the M1330 operating normally. It's cool to the touch and very, very quiet.

Many thanks!

Update: After several days of use, I'm pleased to report that the temperatures have dropped even further:

Nvidia GPU: 38C @ Idle
    CPU Cores: 26-29 @ Idle

I've yet to hear the fan operate at anything other than it's lowest speed, which is another nice side effect.

3. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Glad it worked out for you, and thank for for the feedback.

4. frippi

frippi Notebook Guru

Hello everyone.

I do remember that someone already mentioned about applying copper mod to Inspiron 1525, but I can't find that again. As 1525 does not have dedicated graphics, I thought about placing a shim on top of the chipset, but after looking into it, it seems that 1.5mm is a bit too thick. The heatpipe is already bent a little in 1525's heat assembly.

Has anyone done this? Any recommendations?

5. Hep!

Are you having issues with your 1525? Unless you are having heat issues (which I have never heard of) then I would suggest leaving the system as it it.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. frippi

frippi Notebook Guru

Well, it's not a big issue, but it's fan keeps kicking in once in a while even when laptop idling. And I'm just thinking, if copper mod would help. I guess you're right and I'll leave it alone :)

Thanks!

7. Krony III

Krony III Vampire

Good idea lets see how this plays out!

8. BlackRussian

BlackRussian Notebook Deity

Try cleaning out the build up of dust from fan unit and take it from there.

9. frippi

frippi Notebook Guru

Done that. Also replaced original thermal paste with AS5.
    As I said, I'll leave it like it is now :)

10. Hep!

What is getting hot enough to kick in the fan (chipset, CPU, GPU)?
    Use hwmonitor to watch temps to see which runs hottest. There are other things that can be done which I would personally try before heatsink modification. Cleaning and paste are two which you've tried, but I would also update my video drivers, update the system BIOS, and undervolt my CPU.

11. frippi

frippi Notebook Guru

I kinda sorted it out. It's all due to different fan control logic. The fan on 1525 either does not spin at all or spins faster than 3800 rpm. So, the CPU & chipset warm up to 50C, fan kicks in, cools it down to 38 and stops. CPU & chipset warm up and so on. While 1330 in contrast keeps fan rotating at a very low speeds, so it cools but barely audible.

I can't tell if it's CPU or chipset (or both) heat up the pipe as I see no sensor on the chipset (tried only speedfan and hwmonitor though). Mine is with Intel graphics, so no dedicated GPU.

It appears, there is no solution for that issue. For now I've just undervolted the CPU, so fan starts more rarely.

12. kozzney

kozzney Notebook Evangelist

Did the mod, worked excellently! I used Artic MX-3 thermal paste on both CPU and GPU with copper mod, and my temps have been reduced drastically. Thanks to the OP for this mod!

13. bronx80

ok. some time after the mod I come back to post the results. gpu temp seems to be 76 c deg. max under heavier use and about 57 idle. cpu is about 70 max and 45 idle. (measured with CPUID Hardware Monitor)

sooo.....? is that quite ok? :)

once again - thanks to op of this thread and the rest of the community who have helped owners of m1330 to feel bit more safe now. ;)

14. BlackRussian

Your temps are fine ;) but if you use your laptop often do a maintenance on it say every 2 months or ever 4months light usage by cleaning the fan unit and exhaust fins.

15. bronx80

umm... do You live in here BlackRussian?? :p that was darn quick answer. thanks for the tip!

16. BlackRussian

I'm always in the back ground :D:D;)
    While on the subject of tips if you use your laptop in a fixed location you can also jack the rear end to aid cooling.

17. amarhw

amarhw Newbie

Hi
    is there any problem if i use 150mmX200mmX1.5mm C106 half hard copper sheet which i fined in ebay?
    If i cannot used this dimensions , How I can cat it ?
    Thanks a lot

18. frippi

frippi Notebook Guru

Why don't you use that one. 15x20 is fine as long as it properly contacts your thermal assembly. After you disassemble everyting, check that your copper shim is fully covered with thermal assembly. i.e. does not stick out. If it is, then don't use it.

19. BlackRussian

I can't remember the overall clearance area just make sure it does not foul any components or contacts around the GPU die.

20. smjohns

smjohns Notebook Consultant

I purchased my shims from an ebay supplier who confirmed they were cut for the M1330. When they arrived, they were the corect thickness but were almost twice as big as the central die. Luckily I had some metal cutters and trimmed them down to be a perfect fit and both work very well. As the central dies are not that high I would definitely NOT recommend fitting shims that are much bigger than they need to be or you could risk shorting out the chips.