Dell XPS M1330 - nVidia GeForce 8400M GS - Copper Mod

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sinstoic, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Is the Guide useful? Did you Mod?

1. Guide: Yes. Mod: Yes.

264 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Guide: Yes. Mod: No.

145 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Guide: No. Mod: Yes.

4 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Guide: No. Mod: No.

25 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    But even the AS5 is a compound is it not? If you use the compound between the GPU and the copper, it seals it does it not?

And then if you use the as5 from the copper to the heatsink..it again seals it as one piece eliminating the possibility of removing the heatsink does it not?

OKOK I may be totally naive at this and enjoy the laugh; I just want to ensure I do everything right.

Also, I know change the thermal pad on the end. There is another thermal pad just up from it; what does that cover?

Attached Files:

2. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    1) You sandwich the copper sheet with AS5 on both sides to make sure theres no mini-gaps on both sides.

2) metalcutoffs on ebay ship worldwide for $13. It is linked in the first page.

This mod was definately worth it. My GPU maxes out at 73c OC'd idles at 48c. I used an oversize copper piece on mine to act as a mini-heatsink

AS5 isnt a glue type of paste. Its just silver. When it cures, it kinda glues in a little.

Word of caution: Make sure you remove the stock thermal blue pad carefully as it falls apart easily. You might need to put this back on if it needs warranty repairs.

Probably Video RAM

3. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Reputations:
    There are two thermal pads on the cooling assembly. The first, closest to the fan is for the CHIPSET (not video memory). The second is for the GPU. You only need to remove the GPU pad, the chipset produces a negligible amount of heat compared to the other components it is surrounded by.

4. Les

Reputations:
    K we r getting there....gonna go to ebay and check out the copper pieces...then maybe the company.

5. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Reputations:
    Also, I never said it before but I wanted to. No offense to imzomnia, but ABSOLUTELY, DO NOT HEED HIS ADVICE to buy copper pipe coupling and flatten it. As others said, it will NOT BE FLAT ENOUGH and in the end could possibly make your cooling assembly LESS EFFECTIVE.

Trying to make a metal perfectly flat on your own is near impossible, and when you really need it to be as flat as possible... well...

Piece of copper - 14 shipped
    New XPS M1330 Motherboard - 140 shipped

Don't cheap out, this mod is worth going all out on!

I had poor luck finding copper the right thickness on US ebay, but UK ebay is FULL of it. So just buy the linked piece, even if it is a rip off.

6. Les

Reputations:
    I just sent an email for the uk to simply send me a paypal req to include shipping. Tx all...Off to Rad Shack for AS5

7. sinstoic

sinstoic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is better to apply Thermal Compound on the GPU and the GPU Thermal Cooling Assembly and then place the Copper Sheet between them. Arctic Silver 5 does not have any adhesive properties and therefore will easily separate. If at all there is any difficulty, a little Isopropyl Alcohol or Acetone should make the separation easier.

The eBay store delivers worldwide. There are some US distributors, but there is no cost advantage in using them.

No. Arctic Silver 5 does not have any adhesive properties and therefore will easily separate. If at all there is any difficulty, a little Isopropyl Alcohol or Acetone should make the separation easier.

The other Thermal Cooling Pad is for the Northbridge Chipset. The Thermal Cooling Pad is more than adequate to transfer the heat it generates.

8. Les

Reputations:
    Tx...ordered the sheet from GB and it came to 11 bucks shipped. Cant go wrong with that.

9. shelleyevans

shelleyevans Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Holy Moly!!!!

Go away for a few days and look what happens! This is terrific. I tried to rep you (again) and was blocked (again). Sigh. Frustrating because the truth is, I am really only interested in this topic (at least at the moment) and in this area its hard to find more than a few people to truly appreciate. :)

Anyway, THANKS to you and Lao and Traveller and Hep and mysterious guy from China and KenHT and excuse me if I have left anyone out.

One thought, for those who might be reading this-- I recommend doing thermal testing of both CPUs and GPU before the mod. I became quite paranoid after doing the mod, afraid that I had put on too much or too little AS on the CPU. It was comforting to dig through my old posts and see that in fact my CPU temps had NOT changed.

10. imzomnia

imzomnia Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No offense at all. It cost me less than a dollar. My M1330 GPU temperature drops on an average of 10c at normal usage. It's not hard to flaten the copper pipe and make it perfectly flat if you have a proper surface to do it. :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.