Dell XPS M1330 - nVidia GeForce 8400M GS - Copper Mod

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sinstoic, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Is the Guide useful? Did you Mod?

1. Guide: Yes. Mod: Yes.

264 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Guide: Yes. Mod: No.

145 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Guide: No. Mod: Yes.

4 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Guide: No. Mod: No.

25 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lao

Lao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey sinstoic, you should put those pics I took in your first message under the proper step. There is no point in doing another guide just to add some pictures, so you might as well improve yours:

This one is for the Procedures, step 03:
    [​IMG]

This one is for the Procedures, step 07:
    [​IMG]

This one is for the Procedures, step 11 (I spread the thermal compound on the copper sheet, not on the GPU, after step number 12):
    [​IMG]

This one is for the Procedures, step 12:
    [​IMG]

As some of you know, I did the copper modd a few weeks ago with great results. Today I just wanted to take some pictures for you, specially with the removing of the purple thermal pad. As I was trying to remove the copper sheet I realized that the sheet was well in place by the Arctic Silver used before. I put quite an effort to remove it from the HSF unit. Conclusion? There is no way the copper sheet will move. IF you have the 14 x 14 x 1.5 mm thick copper sheet.

I'm sure those pics will help a lot of forum friends.

Good luck! ;)

Sinstoic, just press Quote button and get the pictures links. ;)

2. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good to know & thx for the great pics, too! :cool:

rrrrrrrrepped!

3. WinnerWinnerChknDnr

WinnerWinnerChknDnr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wondering what making a copper modification does? Is it to treat a problem or just to improve the performance of the NB? thanks.

4. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sinstoic,

please add the following "step" to your guide - I think it is absolutely indispensable

It comes from member mxlars:

Dry Run:

Since we cannot guarantee that all HSF are exactly the same size and "bent" exactly the same, you should perform a "dry run" by mounting the shim without any paste, screwing all screws (to the appropriate tightness as described in this guide) and verify that the shim is not loose (by tilting the Notebook, etc.).

WARNING: *** DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN ON / USE YOUR NOTEBOOK AT THIS STAGE!!! ***

In the unlikely event that the standard 1.5mm shim is too loose (and literally falls out), you may consider ordering a shim in the next available commercial thickness of 2.0mm. Please keep in mind that a minute amount of play is ok and will allow for possible expansion of the shim when heated.

----

Well, at least I think it's a great idea. Personally, I'm not too worried about expansion of the shim because we are talking about going from 20C (ambient) to 70C (load) and not 170C.... I find it hard to believe that a piece of Cu (or AL, for that matter) is going to "expand" in thickness more than a few 100ths of a mm... . If anyone has proof of the contrary, please, by all means, do post that info here!

After all, better to play it safe... ;)

5. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. Lao

Lao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried tilting the laptop over on one side with just the copper sheet, no thermal compound on any side, and IT DID NOT move at all. ;)

7. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Reputations:
    See I have good ideas but I am glad that so many people have things to contribute that I hadn't even thought of, like a "dry run"

Also, who measured the distance between the GPU/Cooling assembly, and how?

8. Lao

Lao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think no one is gonna answer that. :D

9. sinstoic

sinstoic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the photographs.

10. jjahshik32

jjahshik32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah so this is the laptop model + the nvidia GPU that has the significant defectiveness.

At the Apple community people were starting to fear that all nvidia gpu's were affected but seems to me that its the dell m1330 and the m1530 that are plagued with the nvidia 8400m GS cards with overheating issues.

All the pieces fit the puzzle as I see this copper mod which nvidia does say that "Certain notebook configurations with GPUs and MCPs manufactured with a certain die/packaging material set are failing in the field at higher than normal rates."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.