Dell XPS M1330 - nVidia GeForce 8400M GS - Copper Mod

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sinstoic, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Is the Guide useful? Did you Mod?

1. Guide: Yes. Mod: Yes.

264 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Guide: Yes. Mod: No.

145 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Guide: No. Mod: Yes.

4 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Guide: No. Mod: No.

25 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferrazrafael

ferrazrafael Newbie

Reputations:
    I done the copper mod on my Dell Vostro 3500 with nvidia gpu and it seems that helped a lot on cooling the system.

2. BrianW100

BrianW100 Newbie

Reputations:
    I used Arctic MX-4.

The packet says "Thermal Conductivity: 8.5 W/mK". It says that it is 'optimal'. So it must be the best to use (?)

Two questions:
    1. What does 8.5 W/mK mean compared with the discussions above?
    2. How should I responsibly dispose of the tube - it indicates 'Dangerous for the environment' with a logo showing the letter "N", a dead tree and an expired trout!

P.S. 3 hours later: the machine is now cool enough to sit on my lap - a fantastic difference - well done!
    P.P.S. I used a "Pikster" interdental brush dowsed in Acetone to brush all the fan blades super clean and smooth.

Brian
    London

3. BrianW100

BrianW100 Newbie

Reputations:
    What on Earth is this graphics cooling kit in the spare second-hand XPS M1330 I have just bought ???!!!!

Two pictures:
    photo 1 - tiny.jpg
    photo 2 - tiny.jpg

4. kw_da

kw_da Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure I understand the question - it's the combination gpu, northbridge?, cpu heatpipe cooler. By the way, it looks like your m1330 only has 2 gb memory, 2 more gig would really help if you're running windows.

5. desone

desone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I agree another 2GB of RAM would work wonders for this laptop. The two heatsink fins attached to the copper cooling pipe form part of the original heatsink. If you remove the five screws on the heatsink and remove it you will find that there are two blue pads one on the video chip and the other on the northbridge chip. What you do is purchase two copper shims and use some heat conducting compound and mount the shims after first removing the blue pads. The copper is a much better conductor than the silicon pads. You can get the copper shims especially for the M1330 from a guy in China on ebay for about $8.00 for 6 shims (free postage). If you carry out this modification it will prolong the life of the laptop by years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.