Dell XPS M1330 - nVidia GeForce 8400M GS - Copper Mod

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sinstoic, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Is the Guide useful? Did you Mod?

1. Guide: Yes. Mod: Yes.

264 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Guide: Yes. Mod: No.

145 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Guide: No. Mod: Yes.

4 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Guide: No. Mod: No.

25 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandicoot

mandicoot Newbie

Reputations:
    I now have a new mobo, with the 631 chipset - 70 quid off eBay. It works fine, and I bunged the copper mod in (of course).

Sadly it reveals that my screen is broken. I'm getting there, though. If I buy a new screen there's nothing else left to break. Cheapest I can find is about 40 quid, for the CCFl version.

Does anybody want the 631 nVidia chip I bought? It's been baked a couple of times, but I presume it works.

2. icemace

icemace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    blackrussian,

I've tried to increase fan speed on my mine but i have failed miserably following the threads. I forget the reason but neither speedfan nor i8kfan nor rivatuner worked for me. Could you or someone who's done this successfully post a dumbed down instruction with step by step and screen shots of config for software? I need instructions specific for m1330 running windows 7 64bit to increase fan speed manually.

3. mihai007

mihai007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok so it seems that 2 months after the heat gun procedure the laptop died again and this time a second heat gun attempt failed. So right now I just disassembled the whole notebook and sold the parts on eBay. Time for a new system, but this time I am looking more on lenovos, seem to be better built, I am still deciding.

4. ChurchPunk

ChurchPunk Newbie

Reputations:
    So is anybody still rocking these laptops nowadays? :D I bought mine back in 2008, and when it got the GPU replaced I did the mod, upgraded some parts (CPU, HDD, and Battery) and my M1330 is still looking pretty good: GPU at 50C when surfing the net.

With the upgraded parts the laptop does (still) feel like a completely new one.
    • CPU T7250 --> T8300
    • HDD 200GB 7200rpm --> 120GB SSD
    • BAT: 4 cell - 6 cell

-The CPU upgrade helped a lot with the temperatures together with the copper mod; from 45C to 35C surfing the net, down from 65C without the mod with the T7250. The extra cache and few mhz come handy when opening porgrams and playing games. Although, speedfan claims the 35C, CPUID mon. and Speccy say 30C...

-The SSD makes a humongous difference in boot time and openning programs too (boot from 2.5 mins down to 45 secs). It also helps with the temps on the left side of the comp, since it is a SSD. Did a clean install on the HDD, bought Paragon Migrate OS to SSD™ (back then still was selling) and migrated Vista 32. Left all my music on the HDD and now I can "backup" from my HDD image whenever i need.

-Old battery still gives me 1hr of use but the new battery gives around 3-4 hrs and I only plug it in when really need it.

So i still dont have a reason to move on. :p

5. theidiot

theidiot Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys,

thank you for this excellent tutorial.

I've followed all the steps, and I (thought) I fixed the problem. So after completing the mod, I turned the laptop on and run for about 40 min, and run some programs like photoshop actions to load the system, and the fan was running at 100% speed with no issues. So closed all the programs, left it in idle for 5-10 min and then turned it off. During this 40 mins or so right after the mod, I had absolutely no issues.

This morning, woke up, first thing I tried, of course, is turning it back on, and the lines were there immediately. Laptop wasn't even on sleep or hibernate, it was totally turned off. So why would this happen? Like I said, I didn't even see the Dell logo on startup, if started with lines straight away.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

6. DCJackRepair

DCJackRepair Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been through the wringer with this XPS M1330... A bad screen then A bad motherboard then over heating!!!
    It has been a long road and now I finally have this thing working! I have been working on the heat mod now for
    about 30 days - doing some custom stuff - added dual copper SHIM mods - adding a custom made 1/8 rear aluminum back plate cover.
    and finally adding a custom heat sink to the GPU ......here are the idle temps below using fan speed.

What a great thread BTW!!

LAPTOP ON FOR 1 HOUR
    AMBIENT ROOM TEMP 24 C
    GPU IDLE = 53C ......BEFORE MODS WAS 69 C
    CORE = 39C ...........BEFORE MODS WAS 45 C

CHEAP HEAT SINK GREASE WAS USED - I WILL USE ARTIC SILVER 5 AFTER I GET THE TEMPS EVEN LOWER.
    NO FAN SPEEDS WERE CHANGED. I WILL POST BACK FROM TIME TO TIME on my progress.

MY XPS SPECS:
    CPU = T9300 2.5 GHz
    RAM= 4GB
    HD= CRUCIAL AGILITY 3 SSD 120GB
    OS = WIN 7 ULTIMATE 64BIT

Also is here any Fan Speed Mod for the XPS ?

7. kohlditz

kohlditz Newbie

Reputations:
    Great thread, wish i'd seen it a year back. I inherited a M1330 with a 8400GS a couple of years back, it's now 4 years old. (Born March 2008) I managed a small fleet of them for my ex company, and this one was granted to me. (I don't think this one ever needed a motherboard swap, the rest of the fleet had a big period 2.5 years ago where they constantly needed Dell engineers around). It's dented, grubby and scratched but still working, quick enough and frankly a good laptop. Over the last year it started getting noisy, fan speed always at 5000rpm and finally got round to doing something about it, Starting with ripping it apart and giving it a damn good clean.

Ordered a shiv of copper off the Internet, and as an interim replaced the cracked old blue thermal pads with some Phobya stuff I had kicking about and put some MX4 on it. Still noisy so undervolted the CPU a bit (lot) and hunted around for different Nvidia drivers which seems to have tamed it some.

The battery is still good, gets a discharge cycle once a month but mostly stays on the mains and the HD is now an old Crucial M225 128GB I had kicking about, If the Shiv helps, i'll bung in a £20 T8300 to drop the temps some more and then maybe even upgrade to 8GB of RAM with it, bit expensive for the DDR2 tho.

8. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey, that little piece of Cu has kept mine going just over five years now! My HDD died three months back but aside from that, it still works fine and with the 5530 WWAN I can surf in places where WLAN is locked down... :D

9. ravenkill

ravenkill Newbie

Reputations:
    Registered just to say thank you for the guide. I am a complete moe-ron when it comes to tech but you all made it pretty straightforward. The hardest part was getting a thin coat of paste on the sinks.

Results are as follows using TechPowerU GPU-Z and three runs of 3DMark 06 before and after the mod.

Before: Idle 59, Max 104
    After: Idle 49, Max 74 (sounds crazy but I went through the entire GPU-Z log)

3DMark 06 scores went from 1583 to 1701.
    3DMark 03 scores went from 5007 to 6159 (!!!)

Environmental variables were identical on all runs.

Pretty frikken awesome. I got my 1330 for 170 bucks on Ebay and I travel to 3rd world countries and don't want a newer computer.

So again, THANKS!!!

10. dith

dith Newbie

Reputations:
    I have implemented this mod for over a year, but the last months I had some weird problems.

The laptop wouldn't shut down (restarted itself showing the Media Direct screen), started itself at random occasions and the standby feature was not working (had to remove power to boot it after standby)
    I had to give it some heat, and FINALLY I got it to work normally again. This lasted only about a month, and I HAD to think of something better to cool it down.

This is what I came up with:

mark at the back the position of the Nvidia chip
    DSC_8182_resize.JPG

open a hole and place the blue "chewing gum" directly on the motherboard. Then cover it with some copper tape
    DSC_8186_resize.JPG

applied as much copper tape I could, so it can act as a cooler itself. I watched not to short circuit anything on the motherboard
    DSC_8188_resize.JPG

Exactly above the blue "gum" I had to apply 3 extra square crops of copper tape, in order to have a direct contact with the top cover. This cover + the keyboard will further dissipate the heat
    DSC_8189_resize.JPG

Finally I applied some masking tape to protect the screen cable from the heat (just in case)
    DSC_8190_resize.JPG

I didn't plan this, so I haven't done any temperature measurements before and after. But it is SOMEthing instead of nothing.... and this should also help in heat dissipation. Only time will tell...
    Now it has an idle temperature of 48 C (with an Intel T8100 cpu)

Please tell me if you try it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.