Dell XPS M1330 - nVidia GeForce 8400M GS - Copper Mod

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by sinstoic, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Is the Guide useful? Did you Mod?

1. Guide: Yes. Mod: Yes.

264 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Guide: Yes. Mod: No.

145 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Guide: No. Mod: Yes.

4 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Guide: No. Mod: No.

25 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donger

donger Newbie

Reputations:
    I replaced the motherboard, did the copper mod, and it still overheated and failed. Gave up on the NVIDIA board, and replaced it with the intel motherboard and new heatsink. Now when I load the Intel driver, the screen becomes crazed and unreadable. If I uninstall the driver and use generic windows driver, the display is fine although at a much lower resolution. Any suggestions?
    Thanks to the forum for all the help thus far..

2. ricky86

ricky86 Newbie

Reputations:
    mandicoot, did you get it replaced by professionals at the end or did you buy one and attempt to bake it yourself? My GPU is dying on me and Im considering getting it replaced with the updated one from the same guys you were referring to in UK.

Is it worth the £130 to get it replaced with an updated Nvidia chip (which noone knows how long it will last) or is it better to get a new mobo with the intel chip?

3. BlackRussian

BlackRussian Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    By your accounts your installing the wrong drivers (intel) you need nvidia drivers or microsoft drivers.;)

Ive been away for sometime but my M1330 still going. If you can get an intel mobo your also will need a cooling unit to suit. I think this is a better option myself.

4. TPX01

TPX01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you guys! I had already 2 motherboard replacements and now I did this mod!

I have a Intel T8300 (2.4GHz)..
    This thing is running smooth since I did this copper mod!

- Ambient temperture: 21.5°C
    - Temperatures Nvidia 8400GS:
    Stress test: ATI tool test -> 60°C MAX
    Normal use: programming, simulating, 3D software -> 54-55°C MAX
    Light use: Surfing the web and watching a little movie on youtube now and then -> 50°C
    Idle: Pc not used for 30 minutes -> 48°C sometimes 46°C
    - CPU temps raised a little bit (before in idle: 28°C now it's more like 30-32°C)

Which tool did I use to measure temperature? Speedfan 4.45
    Fan is always running on 3214RPM, even at low temperatures.. I still have some reserve parts so if the fan breaks down I can replace it easily. If I shut down the fan you just have to add 8°C to above temperatures. Even then in max stress temperatures will not get above 80°C (fan completely off that is). Very impressive!

What temps did I get before?
    Idle: 60-64°C
    Normal use: 68-70°C
    Stress 75-80°C
    (Remark: Fans were dust free at the moment of this test)

I just did this mod 2 days ago so I expect the temperatures to drop a bit (+/- 2°C) seen the fact that I used AS5.
    So far I love this mod.. I'm sure this will keep my laptop running for a year longer.

5. mandicoot

mandicoot Newbie

Reputations:
    Discouraging news, I'm afraid, Ricky. I bought the 631 GPU - it cost me about 30 quid - and tried baking it on a few times, but although the chip appeared to be affixed quite securely, when I turned the machine on nothing happened. (That's not precisely true, one of the lights at the front of the machine came on for a couple of seconds, but nothing else occurred. It's possible that I messed up something else - for example my anti-static precautions are practically nonexistent).

I'm going to get a new nVidia mobo, I think. The cheapest ones have been running at about £80 on eBay over the last few weeks. Not sure why I'm sticking with nVidia. Some sort of Stockholm syndrome, probably.

cheers
    -mandicoot

6. Tabris

Tabris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, the fan on my M1330 died, after a good 5 years of service.

Luckily, I've been expecting it for a while, so I changed it last night. Obviously, I had to redo the copper mod. Funnily enough though, the first time I changed the fan, I completely forgot the copper mod and wondered why my GPU temps shot up to 100°C almost immediately. So I had to redo it again.

Now it's all sorted, I've noticed quite a big drop in temps (I never really cleaned my fan).

Where I was hitting just under 60°C idle/light use on my CPU before, I'm now getting around 40°C.

Same with GPU temps, they were just around 65°C idle before and now they're around 50°C during light use.

7. wipedwired

wipedwired Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone replaced their mobo with one of the ones advertised on ebay as having a 'revised' NVIDIA chip?

I had the computer for a year before it started having problems. I had the mobo replaced 4 times, then about one year later (after warranty) it was getting really hot, and the fan died.

So I replaced the fan, undervolted it, followed the excellent instructions on this guide to do the copper mod. It worked beautifully at super low temps for about two months, and then one day the battery would not charge, and it won't work on A/C. THis is apparently a sign of near-death because the charger is attached to the mobo.

I'm still not ready to let go of it (partly because I'm waiting for the new Asus Zenbook UX31A release), and am thinking about buying a new mobo.

Is this REALLY a revised chip that won't fail? Has anyone tried? I'm gunshy after all the hell, of course...

8. mihai007

mihai007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well after 3 years of using the M1330 it failed the first time last month. I did the copper mod right after the 2 days of purchase (even had the copper piece before the laptop arrived eheh). Also I used Ubuntu Linux on this machine the whole time, I am not sure but maybe it could helped in lasting so long until failure.

Just wanted to say that I did the heat gun procedure to revive it and 1 month passed and it works great.

One thing I noticed is that after taking the cooling pipe off I cleared it really good (taking the fan off) and I notice that the CPU and GPU is ~10C lower just by cleaning and applying new thermal paste. It might be a good idea to clean the fan from time to time....

God I love this laptop, what a fantastic machine. Too bad they don't make machines like this today (but with proper nvidia chip this time :D )

P.S: great thread!! I keep reading it years after was started!

9. icchipsetcom

icchipsetcom Newbie

Reputations:
  10. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what advantages do these yield vs the old chipset?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.