Dell XPS 9570 Reviews

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by rickybambi, May 4, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Atom Ant likes this.
  2. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another good updated review, from The Tech Chap.

i9 and 4k processing and no mention of any thermal throttling under normal use.

He had problems with the Killer Wireless card as many have already mentioned.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The fact that his rendering times were only 16% faster leads me to believe he was throttling. None of these reviewers seem to actually watch what their cpu is doing when they are encoding... I should have added that in my review but I'm currently doing iunlock's mod on it so I'm a little late to the party there.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  4. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have a 7700k mITX desktop running on a cheap junk H110 board, and an i7-2600k running on an ASUS ROG board. The 7700k is faster just about any encoding, rendering, etc task than the older Sandy Bridge chip, but it wasn't until 2 months ago when I changed the CPU fan to a larger one with more range that I noticed something odd. The fan was running fine under load, but suddenly, it would dip to an audibly lower speed, then resume normal operation. It would do this at ~1.5 second intervals. I went and ran OCCT with its built in monitoring tools, and found out the frequency was taking a dip at those intervals. I eventually diagnosed it to VRM throttling and nothing I did would resolve it (short of underclocking and undervolting the CPU, but that kills the slim performance margin over the older i7).

I never even knew VRM throttling was a thing. How could a mobo designer make a mobo that couldn't handle stock loads? I thought all mobos were becoming the same, especially in the mITX size class (where there is less freedom to implement things). It sure seemed that way since the wilder LGA775 days. Boy was I wrong. I now know to watch closely at all factors, and coming back to NBR at the same time, the XPS15 threads (along with many high-specced thin-and-lights) really resonated with my experience.

custom90gt likes this.
  5. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No offense, some people are just not skilled enough and these reviews are almost useless.

jeremyshaw and custom90gt like this.
  6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I do not like the Tech Chap's content. I have subbed/unsubbed to him a few times and always end up disappointed.

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Review complete: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/20435-xps-15-9570-review-live/

4/5

THE GOOD

• Despite (somewhat) stale design, still one of the best-looking 15-inch laptops
    • i7-8750H CPU performs admirably in such a thin chassis
    • Decent gaming performance
    • Competitively priced
    • Well-rounded feature set
    • Dell's on-site service is second to none in the PC world
    THE BAD

• Battery comes with 9.9% wear, so true capacity is 87WHr
    • Battery life is not quite as good as previous generations
    • Webcam still on bottom bezel and no Windows Hello compatibility
    • No FHD-touch screen option
    • Unstable and buggy out of the box; required clean Windows installation
    • Still only one m.2 slot and slow SSD write speeds
    • Additional USB Type-C port would be nice

huntnyc, custom90gt and Woodking like this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dave Lee (aka Dave2D) did a review of 2018 premium 15" laptops. XPS 9570 ranked near top . . .