Dell XPS 9570 Reviews

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by rickybambi, May 4, 2018.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’m definitely not saying that’s what’s causing the crashing. But there’s a lot of bloat on these things so a fresh ISO, deleting all what’s probably five partitions of the main drive starting fresh is what I would do for starters at this point.

2. DOS_6.22

DOS_6.22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did the complete fresh install but still had problems. Other problems included sporadic bad coil whine (more like snap crackle and pop), headphone jack had high pitched white noise static, even when mic was muted. That was tested with regular ear buds to my expensive (by my definition) neutral Audio Technica headphones I use for guitar practice.
    Maybe had a bad unit. Already shipped it back today for a return. Sad thing is I'm not sure there is another comparable product in this range.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  3. cpaek72

cpaek72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No problems from my 9570 i9. Everthing works perfectly. I would give it another chance.

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Everything*

5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure. But there seems to be an epidemic, also some users of older XPS 15 models report crashing under load instead of downthrottling recently. Maybe a "feature" of a recent BIOS or such.

6. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @DOS_6.22 were you using the "Dell Optimized power plan" or the "extreme performance" plan?

7. DOS_6.22

DOS_6.22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used the Microsoft "better performance" power plan and also tried the Dell optimized. If there was just normal overheating and was non-defective, it would have done one of two things: 1. throttle down CPU and GPU while maxing out fans, 2. if that couldn't cool it down, gracefully shutdown the computer. The instant power-off was a red flag for an electrical problem with the device. Could be a short that occurs at a certain temp, poor solder work, defective component within the VRM or other electrical components.
    I would like to give them another chance, I just didn't want to roll the dice and have it come back with a new problem - leaving me with little time to do a product return, with defects are not normally subject to restocking fees.

I've had experience with a laptop repair depot where the notebook went in for a minor defect repair and then came back with a broken trackpad and the chassis no longer being flush. Customer service had been a hassle with this. Eventually I went up to their corporate customer relations to remedy the situation, after reporting them to the BBB.

It's something I don't want to have to go through again if I can avoid it.

pressing likes this.
  8. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You shouldn't have to have a brand new laptop fixed anyway. I would return it and reorder before I sent it to tech support. I just placed an order for a 9570 so I'll let you know if I experience similar issues.

DOS_6.22 likes this.
  9. Owain9

Owain9 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. Is the Sharp SHP1453 panel still in use in XPS 9570? For six months I bought five xps / precision 5520 and each had a dyed panel - on the right in pink, on the left in green:

[​IMG]

10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guessing that your didnt really intend to post that question in the review section? :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk