Dell XPS 9570 Reviews

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by rickybambi, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Trust me, I understood everything you said. UHS-II is great, but the microsd cards are only 100mb/s write, not 260 like the full sized one. You can argue all day but 260MB/s is faster than 100MB/s. There is a reason high end DLSR cameras have full sized SD slots. When you start shooting raw images you need every bit of speed you can get.

I haven't had 50 garbage laptops, if you think the X1 is a garbage laptop then you're an idiot. They did all have full HD panels unlike my carbon X1. I don't need 4k as much as I need battery life. My X1 has glass over it and it has BLB. My 7373 has glass over it and it has BLB. My XPS 9365 has glass over it and it has BLB... Need I go on?

I can find anything on redit, I'm not impressed with your ability to search. Did you read my thread on the 9570, I think I know a thing or two about it...

I've only worked as a computer tech since 2001, and an enthusiast since way before that. Please continue to tell me how I don't know what I'm talking about. After repasting, repadding, heatsinking, and undervolting my 9570 I never had any issues with the fans. Prior to doing all that the laptop was pretty much benching or stability testing 24 hours a day. Just in terms of XPS laptops, I've had several 9550s, several 9560s, a 9350, 9360, 9365, 9575 and the 9570 is by far my favorite.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Curious if the new firmware/BIOS or whatever that's improved Firestrike scores and eGPU use is also helping with the low 1% frames issue you discussed in your review? I noticed on the 9575 some of the more erratic framerate issues on the quad core as compared to my ULV Macbook Pro. That said, it wasn't always worse - many games ran better on the 9575.

Finally - eGPU, in my experience is a difficult road to high refresh rate gaming. I'm fine with a quieter machine running all the eye candy at 30FPS. I know most "real pc gamers" aren't cool with that. I still desire 60FPS across the board though. This is the main reason why I still won't buy a high refresh rate monitor. I don't want it to spoil looking at all the 60FPS screens in my life.

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've been using an eGPU for 2 years, but I am thinking of just getting a thin max-q 1070 laptop or something next.

4. PentiumMMX

PentiumMMX Newbie

Reputations:
    Is this eGPU performance problem is a driver issue that can be fixed in the future updates, or is it a limitation of some crappy TB chip Dell has used in 9570?
    Any other laptops with same TB hw configuration to compare to?

5. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I now sold my 9570 because only of the fan behaviour at idle/very light surfing. I've done the whole modding thing (repasting, undervolting, padding) and have tried a lot of combinations, but nothing helps. Fans kicks in at 2.500 rpm > off > on > off > on ............ I hear that very clear in the evening when my environment is silent.
    For all other brave users i hope Dell will fix that annoying fan control.
    By the way i don't understand Dell at all; this is so poor.

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There are really few alternatives (none?)

I have bought, tried, and sold: XPS 13 9370, xps 15 2-in-1, xps 15 9570 (had screen issues), Aero 15, GS65. And now I'm back to the xps 15 9570 and got one with a good screen and I couldn't be happier

pressing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.