Dell XPS 9560 issues with Samsung 960EVO M.2 SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by grimah1w, Dec 29, 2017.

1. grimah1w

grimah1w Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK,

from Windows, Intel disabled the cache and made the SSD available as a separate drive, both the 32GB and the 500gb SATA HD visible in computer management, drives

reboot to BIOS, BIOS set to drives to AHCI

UEFI and Secure Boot ON

powered off

removed 32GB SSD and removed the 500GB SATA HD

Power supply disconnected
    POWER OFF Button 30 SEC hold.

BIOS Factory Setting and BIOS Default attempts both performed consecutively

Power on, to BIOS

System Information, Device Information, Drives = none

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's got to be a bum slot or something. Sata uses a different pinout then NVMe.

Where are you located? Maybe someone near by can help you troubleshoot. Heck if you're close to me I have a ton of m.2 SSDs we could try.

3. grimah1w

Reputations:
    Hello!

Yes, of course still have the 32GB SSD and eth 2.5 SATA HD with original Windows and system config. Booted (BIOS set to RAID) and from Windows10 launched the Intel RST, killed the cache and disabled the cache drive. rebooted to Windows successfully and checked the effect and can see both the 32GB and the 500GB drives in the Drive management console in computer management (the 32 GB was unallocated of course)

powered down.

removed the 32GB SSD and the 500GB SATA HD and powered on to BIOS, set drive as AHCI, still UEFI Safe Boot ON, powered off.

inserted the 960EVO M.2 SSD (PCIe) and powered on to BIOS

view System Information, Device Information, all drives show as "none"

When the 32GB SSD is installed and the the Intel RST cache is disabled (or enabled) the drive is seen at M.2 SATA

I have so not been able to get any 960EVO (or PRO) M.2 SSD (PCIe) to show in the M.2 PCIe SSD-0 position. PCIe issue???

Really hoping to find a member of this forum, with the exact same HW configuration that I have, who has successfully installed the Samsung 960EVO (or PRO) M.2 SSD (PCIe). I think I have tried the "Should work" scenarios.

Considering just doing a straight SATA SSD and calling it, unless otherwise proven, this seems like a Dell BIOS UEFI issue and probably related to the PCIe...what else is left to try???

4. grimah1w

Reputations:
    I am in middle TN! you aren't a retired 5SFG guy are you???

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    3 for 3 that don't work, I am going with @custom90gt on this, can you call for service and explain 3 nvme drives do not work, you are entitled to upgrade it and a function that is included doesn't work.

6. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No I was in 19th group in Colorado. I just sent you a PM, if you can't find someone in TN that can help you I may be able to.

*on edit* it just seems so weird. I never had an issue with my 960evo, and I know @iunlock had a 960 evo in one and a 960 pro in another without issue.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. grimah1w

Reputations:
    custome90GT helped me out by providing two drives for me to test! (a Sandisk 64GB M.2 B+M keyed, and a Toshiba 256GB SSD 4 lanes PCIe M keyed).

What I have learned: The B+M keyed drive 60mm long SanDisk powered up and was detected in the BIOS, no issues (other than its size so I had to improvise temp hold in position) It showed in the M.2 SATA slot, worked fine.

The M keyed Toshiba was not see by the BIOS/UEFI and I went through all of the same hoops that I did with the Samsung PRO and EVO M.2 PCIe SSDs without a hint of success or different behavior.

My conclusion is that my 9560 does not fancy the M.2 PCIe SSD. But it is good with M.2 SATA. I do not know if this is specific to my 9560 and if so I am not certain as to why. I do have the Nvidia GTX 1050 installed and perhaps a PCIe conflict in channels/lanes available??? I have no other theories, the BIOS version is current and cannot for the life of me figure out why M.2 PCIe SSD are not detected.

Maybe Dell knows but they are NOT sharing.

Thanks all!!!

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its worth looking into this article https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/189
    Maybe BIOS update/ Samsung SSD FW update in AHCI mode will be helpful.

9. grimah1w

Reputations:
    The RAMCity link is definitely a good source, thank you. Content of the link you provided seems to jibe with what I wrote, that this may be an incompatibility based on number of PCIe lanes. The BIOS update has been completed as stated, and previous versions of BIOS/UEFI attempted to no avail. Also, the issue is not confined to the Samsung M.2 PCIe drives but was also with the Toshiba noted above. I think that Dell's mobo and possibly a future BIOS/UEFI hold the answer. My whole quest for info on this was originally about the small probability of someone with first hand knowledge and experience using my identical system configuration and successfully (or not) upgrading to a Samsung NVMe 960 Pro M.2 SSD. Many helpful contributions with references of similar upgrades but no one with a XPS15 9560 (nvidia 1050 installed) successfully running a Samsung NVMe 960 Pro M.2 SSD.

The generosity of the members here in seeking information, providing recommendations and the above and beyond help even sending me two known good drives to try and troubleshoot has been remarkable! I am very grateful, especially to custom90gt and GoNz0 and all contributors and to you for the link of additional info...I noted the 9350 reference and the Dell thread that follows, B+M keyed M.2 drive was used, not M keyed 960Pro.

I threw this issue over the fence to Dell again with more detail (most of which obtained through this work with custom90gt and GoNz0) and will see if they reply. I may just accept that for now, this XPS15 9560 is just not going to work with a NVMe PCIe SSD (M key).

10. grimah1w

Reputations:
    Also Vasudev, I noted in the link you provided a caveat:
    "Be aware that depending on your combination of motherboard/cpu, there are limited PCIe lanes available. So, if you are thinking of installing 4x PCIe GPU's in a monster SLI setup, and then want to install an XP941/SM951/960 Evo/Pro in the M.2 socket and expect it to run at full speed, then it wont!

So check your manual if you are planning to use your new M.2 SSD in a rig with more than 1 GPU. You've been warned..."

In my case I mentioned the Nvidia 1050 is installed perhaps eating into the PCIe lanes available???

Vasudev likes this.