Dell XPS 9560 Clean install guide + custom ISO download.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Mar 23, 2016.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Worst case is you may need the wifi driver ready post install but the ISO had got to the stage where I only put wireless drivers on as windows update pulled down anything else, it isn't worth compiling a custom ISO for that any longer.

I only started doing this as people couldn't see the NVMe drive when trying to install windows and to fill in the missing drivers, they sorted that by the time RS2 was out and it all seems to work rather well.

It takes hours to sort, convert ESD's etc, then do it for home and pro etc.

enver63 likes this.
  2. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Now that I see 'content has been removed' I'm unclear what your answer is. I'm pretty sure it's because I don't understand this stuff well enough, but what specifically do you recommend to do a clean install now? Do I need to use a flash drive at all or do it from somewhere within Windows? Any link you recommend?

3. GoNz0

Reputations:
    The windows ISO works fine with no additional drivers integrated, you can use the windows media creation tool to do it all for you as well.

4. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. Again, this is all pretty new to me so I don't entirely know what that process is. Do I just follow the instructions here? https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Anything to look out for?

I'm not having performance issues but Win 1709 failed to update after a 'memory management' BSOD over and over so I waited for 1803 and get the same BSOD. I've done the suggested tests for memory issues and everything was fine. Should a clean install of Windows do the trick? I tried the 'fresh start' option that supposedly reinstalled Windows but kept your files but the BSOD continued.

Will I run into any license issues? Should I write the key down at all?

Can all of this be done offline?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  5. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Key is in the BIOS and will be read and activated automatically, yes the microsoft guides all you need. When asked for the key just skip that step.