Dell XPS 9560 Clean install guide + custom ISO download.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Mar 23, 2016.

1. grimah1w

grimah1w Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    uuuugh

made the change to remove the cache drive from the setup. reboot, BIOS shows the 32GB in the m.2 SATA position and the 500GB HDD as primary HDD.

power down, remove the 32GB m.2 ssd and the sata HD and boot to BIOS, change to AHCI reboot, 960PRO installed power back up and look at BIOS, still no sign of mr. 960 PRO in BIOS

BIOS defaults set. (CMOS 30sec pwr off to clear)
    Boot Mode UEFI
    secure boot ON

Device info portion of system information
    no drives!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    That's so weird. I wish I would have paid attention to the bios to see if my drives showed up there or not. Sorry it's been an arduous process, I'm not sure what else to try besides a bios downgrade. I hope the evo works for you. Are these 960 pros coming from amazon or a third party seller?

Btw - iunlock had a 960 pro in his 9560...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  3. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Also I did some googling and there are quite a few complaints of people getting fake 960 pros from Amazon, some of them "fulfilled by amazon" and others from third party sellers...

Funny thing is one guy was going through basically the same thing as you, turned out his "960 Pro" was keyed in both M and B keys (should only be M). I'm wondering if you're been had...

4. grimah1w

Reputations:
    First one was from a company accessed though Amazon, noted in the thread, I did get a full refund on my return... the second from Amazon...they were black through and through, no green boards. I don't have any reason to suspect counterfeit product...I did look closely but as you infer, there are some skills out there...I am assuming I received Samsung product.

Man I am bummed, I think I am following the instructions closely but am open to stepping back and starting fresh!!!

5. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah the counterfeit ones look real. Do you mind taking a picture of the drive (if it's out and easy)? Was it directly through amazon or "fulfilled by amazon?"

6. grimah1w

Reputations:
    The most recent was directly from Amazon...will get photos in morning!

7. grimah1w

Reputations:
    after "remove the cache drive from the setup" BIOS sees 32GB SSD in the M.2SATA, not a M.2PCIe SSD

[​IMG]

Photos of the 960 Pro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    The reason it doesn't show as nvme is with it being a sata drive m8.

You might consider opening a thread about this as it isn't related to my ISO so lots will be missing it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

pressing likes this.
  9. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Does the front sticker have the copper layer? The images you posted like similar but has different components than the stock pictures I see online. May just be hard to tell from the small photos you posted though. Also when did Samsung start making 960 Pros in china? All the ones I've seen are made in Korea...
    I am not sure why you would have issues with a 960 pro when others do not. If I still had my XPS I'd throw my SM961 from my server into it to see what it shows in bios.

10. grimah1w

Reputations:
    Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD arrived from Newegg...go figure, exact same symptoms as the 960Pros previously,no detect on BIOS. Have attempted several iterations of BIOS setting changes, after trying the normal AHCI...so now going to attempt older BIOS and see what I get. Will open a new thread. BTW the 960EVO M.2 from SAMSUNG is tagged as a product of China...