Dell XPS 9560 Clean install guide + custom ISO download.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Mar 23, 2016.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Why not grab my ISO it is more up to date and will only download one big patch and a few drivers. It is based on the initial RS2 release.
    If you want a vanilla win 10 just do it the official way. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

You may need the Raid/AHCI drivers to see the drive with the official ISO, It may have them burnt in already but as I havn't used it I can't promise so it will be worth having the files ready in a folder on the USB stick you use for the windows install. It is a very small file and hosted here https://mega.nz/#!0NdRAALD!-TPQLgyzR6eFqhjkTPxDTpVXHdQDOJTR8AFmpFo346w
    Unzip to a folder of your choice on the USB and navigate to the folder when it says it needs additional drivers (or not depending)

You may need the wireless drivers as well.

2. wranger

wranger Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I used your ISO, but for some reason, I continue to get the restart notifications related to the NVMe drive and STMicroelectronics. Removing the drive from device manager did not solve the problem. Something's off.

When I install your Creator ISO, do I still need to set "Secure boot on" & "Legacy mode off"? I did not use the settings in BIOS. Otherwise I don't see where the errors come from.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  3. GoNz0

Reputations:
    They are only the ideal settings, you can do what you want. So are you saying you have wiped the drive and installed a fresh windows or upgraded to the creators edition?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. wranger

wranger Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I don't need to repeat the installation after changing the BIOS setting. Yes, I have removed all partitions and recreated them for a fresh installation of the Creators edition using your ISO. Even after multiple reboots, I continue to get a multiple of the two notifications.

5. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Slight misunderstanding, whilst you can change the BIOS settings you will need to boot into safe mode before making a change (you will need your windows password as the pin/fingerprint option will not be available.)
    You will also need to boot into safe mode straight after the change.

I can't see that helping though.

Well strange this, you can disable the ST driver as it doesn't enable for SSD's hence it not being visible.
    As for the storage controller driver, changing to raid mode may mask the issue but I get the feeling the mainboards bad and needs swapping if a clean install has the identical problems m8.

Maybe start a new thread so you get more viewers?

6. wranger

wranger Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I understand that I'll need to change the BIOS settings after booting into safe mode if I want to set "Secure boot on" & "Legacy mode off". But, if the settings are not associated with the notifications, I don't see a need.

I had an intermittent sleep/reboot issue, and got the motherboard and logic board replaced. But, it still didn't go away. Dell sent me a replacement XPS 15 9550 with a 4K UHD and touchscreen system, which I do not like. Before I decide a system between the two, I want to clean install the Creators edition to see if it was related to my OS or other set-ups. I always see "41 Kernel-Power system critical error". Is this potentially a sign of the sleep and reboot issue?

7. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Dunno, what I do know is this issue isn't related to my install media as you have had it before and after so best to do as I said and make a dedicated thread for your problem.

8. wranger

wranger Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for your efforts on making all these ISOs. I really enjoyed the Anniversary edition that you made for us.

I tried a clean install again using the MS Enterprise edition by loading the IRST driver. After the initial version of Win10 was loaded, Windows Updates could detect and install the Creators edition without going through the Anniversary edition. The system does not generate such notifications at this time. I'm wondering if not all XPS 15 9550 systems have the basic same components as this new installation with MS Win10 does not generate the notifications.

9. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Why have you installed enterprise then updated to RS2?

You should have downloaded the correct iso from microsoft and I think I linked you to it in a previous post?
    Microsoft have the ISO updated to RS2 with a patch level to June (iirc)
    At least you will not have to fake activation with the correct install. The Microsoft ISO will detect you home (or pro if you have the business edition) and install the correct version and activate it automatically.

10. wranger

wranger Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Enterprise is the only original Win10 version that I have, and thus updated to the Creator ed. Where is the original ISO from MS that you posted? There are too many posts under this thread and thus cannot find it.

I don't know what differences there are among these many versions, but the install and update from the original MS Win10 Enterprise did not generate the notifications...