Dell XPS 9560 AC Adapter Unknown

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by szumial, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Battery in and AC plugged in, turn the laptop on and head into the BIOS then hold the power button down and after 30 seconds the charge light should flash to say recovery is started.

custom90gt and pressing like this.
  2. szumial

szumial Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know how and for how long, but your suggestion seemed to do the trick - at this moment, the laptop is charging fine. I will observe its behavior though and continue troubleshooting for the crashes. Thanks man!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

pressing, Trader05 and custom90gt like this.
  3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I only had it once and since then it has been fine despite other BIOS updates, I think this stems back when the BIOS updates used to screw up and reset the BIOS. I hope it is fixed for good.

pressing and szumial like this.
  4. szumial

Reputations:
    I got excited, but it was enough to unplug the cord for some time and after replugging it's not working again. I'm puzzled.

pressing likes this.
  5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Try the reset again but use the other charger as a test?

6. szumial

Reputations:
    Today I had some time and done as you suggested - unfortunately no luck and the trick with recovery does not work anymore.

I did a couple of tests including swapping the cmos batteries, swapping the primary batteries and recovering from bios double checking the ac port on mobo. Nothing seems to work for me, therefore for lack of other conclusions, I have to assume the worst - mobo is down.

The laptop does recognize an ac adapter, but this is on occasion, completely random - no pattern, just leave it for a while, plug the cable and it works, just to crash the os and stop working again.

Is it possible to repair the mobo charge circuit only?

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that. I think you have exhausted DIY repair options at this point.

You could pull the motherboard and look for liquid damage or blown up components.

But...without the schematic that gets rather difficult rather quickly. Troubleshooting is tough without a map and without knowing what the multimeter should be reading at different points on the board. And part identification gets difficult with these small components. For example, if you replace a blown cap but are oblivious to a downstream issue causing the problem, the problem will return and your new cap will blow.

And physical repair requires smd skills & basic smd equipment (say a good heat gun, iron, magnifying glass, flux, cleaning alcohol).

You can watch the Louis Rossman videos for Apple smd repairs to get an idea of what you are up against. The interesting thing is that he only does MacBooks and always uses a schematic to problem solve. I assumed he would have this stuff generally memorized but he doesn't leave much to chance.

Assuming you are out of warranty. If I were in your shoes, I would inspect the motherboard for obvious damage. Maybe there is an obvious short or loose wire. If there is nothing obvious or damage looks too difficult to repair, I would consider buying a new motherboard.

NOTE- Use extreme caution with the battery as that is a bomb waiting to explode. The power brick may be rated to output "only" 20v but this can be dangerous also. Both for health & safety and risk of burning down your house.

Good luck.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Afraid you have now ran out of possible fixes, as for board level repair you will be lucky to find someone capable of doing the repair.
    Have you tried approaching Dell to see if you can have an extended warranty, if they do offer you one wait a week and report the fault?

custom90gt and pressing like this.
  9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    But it still charges with USB-C?

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It does ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.