Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by thisisdom, Mar 14, 2011.

1. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting. No issues with hinges in my case but the power jack socket. Tolerated it for years until finally one day pulled a youtube video and just did it.

what is your "certain price mark" and which brand of micron were you thinking? I was thinking Samsung 850 1TB?

I want to clone the drive so it needs to be at least the same size which means 1TB - that would be slightly larger than what I have there now.

2. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was looking at the Crucial (by Micron) MX300 525GB SSD, still am. It can be had for about $150.

3. Koolman511

Koolman511 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah or get get a SSD and a HDD for storage while SSD for OS. It feels like night and day. Though, I am unable to take out my HDD cause one of the screwhead is stripped

4. etcetera

Reputations:
    For the backup HDD, I installed this that I got out from an MSI laptop (replaced by an SSD). It's a slow HDD that's not good for much beyond being a redundant HDD. I am getting a "Warning" when I run CrystalDiskCheck about the primary "hybrid" drive, the 750GB one.
    I have 18,000 hours on it and I wonder when it will fail. If it does, I will install a Samsung 850 in its place and then recover the data off the HGST.

Otherwise the L702x has served me well except for a few annoyances - the power jack had to be replaced due to being loose, and the fan makes more noise than it should.

HGST Travelstar HTS721010A9E630

5. etcetera

Reputations:
    Dell L702x has a nice screen, the 17.3" and 1080 work well together. The resolution is great.

Mine must be 6 years old at this point. Runs nicely with 16GB.

Now having said that, the colors are completely off. It's way too blue. Looks way unnatural but it's only evident when compared to how an accurate screen looks like. So it's great for things that don't involve accurate color rendition. e.g. Photoshop. Since I don't do Photoshop, it has worked well for me.

I read glowing reviews of L702x when it came out and they missed the poor color rendition aspect.

In addition to the faulty power jack, I replaced the keyboard once.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  6. etcetera

Reputations:

I think your option is an MSI machine, like GT73 is 4K. Mechanical keyboard, lots of SSDs. Pretty much everything you want. The prices on it are dropping as they introduce new models.

One big problem is the battery is not easily replaceable. That is one asset of L702x.
    I always carry several spare batteries when I travel, it's nice.

7. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The color rendering shouldn't be off. Maybe your display driver isn't setup right. My screen looks fine, no blueish tone. Speaking of RAM, I wonder if I can expand to 16GB. I currently have 8GB (4x4). Like I mentioned earlier, will mostly swap one of the current 7200 RPM drives out for an SSD, if anything it'd be the memory first because it's been getting sluggish lately opening these newer browsers (w/ add-ons) from startup. It takes an annoyingly good minute just to open Firefox or Thunderbird!

8. etcetera

Reputations:
    My screen color rendition is not *that* off. It's not obviously off.
    It's somewhat off.

Take an expensive monitor, some Dell Ultrasharp and take a look at it side-by-side. I never noticed any blue in this laptop until I compared it with another monitor.

The L702x laptop does not render colors correctly. It's passable for movies, online browsing, working with Excel/word processors/etc but not for advanced Photoshop work.

Give yourself a favor and get an Ultrasharp UP2713HM or one of the latest-greatest 4K displays and put your L702x right next to it, I think you will be amazed. There is nothing wrong with the drivers, I run latest-greatest Windows 7 fully patched. It's an inexpensive 17.3" laptop panel that performs as well as possible in that configuation.

9. etcetera

Reputations:
    The default "hybrid" drive that came with mine, it's 750GB or so, is surprisingly fast for an HDD. I've never felt it was slow, even while running SSD in another machine. I think it's one of the better HDD out there. But mine is wearing out, I have 18,000 hours on it.