Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by thisisdom, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Lexoid

Lexoid Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys, welcome all of you! It turned out that I had a laptop Dell XPS 17 L702x in which all the fastening screws were completely lost. I want to order here, but I do not know the exact size. I know that they use screws M2X3 and M2.5X8, but it seems to be for everything. What screws hold the back cover on the sides? Where can I find this information? Thank you in advance!))

2. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is the going price for a Dell L702x I7-2620M?

2.7Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1TB of disk space (I assume 2x500 HDD)

The seller says the battery went bad and need replacement.

It is 1080 HD

2620M seems to be the processor from 2011 and is pretty old, about 7 years old? Maybe $200?

3. etcetera

Reputations:
    Found this interesting link:

First, if you are looking to buy a Dell XPS 17, you will need to ensure that the configuration you order includes the 1920x1080 ("1080p") display. You should not buy the Dell XPS 17 in any configuration that includes the stock 1600x900 "900p" display, because this type of display makes things onscreen large and tends to have very poor image quality due to low contrast.

In addition, despite the labeling of the 2620M as a Core i7, it is in fact a dual-core and isn't considerably more powerful than a Core i5. If you are looking for a particularly powerful processor for video encoding purposes, then you will be better off looking for a Core i7 that is denoted with the extension "QM", indicating that it is a Quad Core mobile processor.

4. drewross

drewross Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I knew this day would come, but after 6-1/2 years, I finally gave up my beloved XPS 17 L702x. The broken screen hinge issue just finally was the final straw. I fixed it once, and it broke again within about a month. So it was time.

That said, if anyone is interested in my old machine for parts, including an upgraded WLAN card, let me know.

And thanks for this forum; it has been a big help over the years.

5. Dexter1983

Dexter1983 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Technical details please

6. etcetera

Reputations:
    Is your machine 1920x1080? Or the lower definition model?

7. etcetera

Reputations:
    Is Dell L702x worth upgrading? For example the HDD to SSD?

Or does it make sense to get another machine? As a more cost-effective soluition

8. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it is worth the upgrade(s).

9. etcetera

Reputations:
    I think you are right.

10. tommy21

tommy21 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys to all of you. First of all sorry for my english (from Greece). I have the same problem with the hinges and i though i could disassembly the screen without problems but......
    When i disassembly the screen( complete remove) and connect through hdmi to external screen, the laptop make sound( 8 beep). Is there a way to remove laptop screen and use only external monitor? Can ,somehow, bypass the initial check for the vga-screen signal ?

My intent is to buy v8.0 exp gdc , external vga , and use only external monitor without laptop screen.
    Thanks in advance for your answers!!!!!!