Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by thisisdom, Mar 14, 2011.

1. gull_s_777

gull_s_777 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After 6 years of use, got a vertical line in lcd.
    Time to hunt for new LCD.
    It's 3D model.
    Does non 3d Full HD LCD fit into this model or connectors are different?

2. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It might, but I'd get the same spec to avoid issues.

3. gull_s_777

gull_s_777 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After some search, it seema that 3D panel has 50 pin connector while non 3D is with 40 pin connector.
    I guess it's safe to assume that connector is gonna be a problem while cross fitting screens.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

4. darksoft

darksoft Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same dropping connection issue until I switched to this version : https://www.amazon.com/Bplus-7260-H...rd_wg=lUvhS&psc=1&refRID=MK4CN340PEK67ZNM75VA

No more dropped connections.

5. drewross

drewross Newbie

Reputations:
    So here we are, six months later. The new cover and hinges are destroyed, in exactly the way the old ones were. When I replaced the cover/bezel, I found that one of the screw holes for the hinge mount (the ones that are part of the chassis of the machine) was stripped, so it's impossible to screw the new cover into it properly.

Over time, this leads to the hinge pulling away from its mounting on the inside of the screen. Apparently, that takes just a few months.

Not sure what I want to do now. I love my L702x.

6. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I replaced the power jack myself. It was a bit more involved than I would have hoped but I did it. It's a weak point in the design.

7. etcetera

Reputations:
    I want to install an SSD, I have an empty slot. I currently have that 750GB "Hybrid" drive. I want to install the same capacity SSD and clone them, then make the SSD the primary boot drive, possible?

8. etcetera

Reputations:
    I've had this annoying problem of sometimes the keyboard not working at all upon booting. No reaction from any key. Only possibility is to power it off and reboot. That usually fixes it. happens about once per month.

Another item, I went through a long battle to get the touch pad disabled. It would act all on its own, move the cursor around. I forgot all I did to it but it's finally disabled. What a relief.

The display resolution is really nice. They have two versions of course, the 1920x1080 and 1600x900 and just the name alone doesn't say which you have (or considering). Should have adjusted the name to reflect the resoluton. Anyway, 1080 mates really nice with the 17" screen, great resolution, but the colors are way off balance, everything appears too blue. You really notice that when you compare it to a normally calibrated monitor.

what especially gets me is all the great reviews L702X got. How great the display is, etc.No, it's not. Resolution yes, colors way off.

I got a MSI Titan GT80 to replace the L702x. It has a worse PQ resolution than L702x, being a 18" screen. Still very fine but such a large screen deserved more resolution.

9. ukzen

ukzen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes its easy i have a Samsung OEM SSD in my primary and have moved the original drive to the secondary.I just cloned with Paragon.Runs really well.
    My laptop is fine except for the power jack (TOUCH WOOD)

10. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Replaced the power jack socket with a revised fix version from ebay (dell xps17 "tight fitting" power dc jack fix), expensive at $46+ but worth it. It stays tight and been holding up very good for a few years now. What was Dell thinking, not a single attempt to re-design and/or fix! Also replaced the outer lcd screen shell ($26 from Dell) due to stripped hinge, a very common problem it seems and has been solid for almost 4 years now. The next step is upgrading to a Micron SSD. Just waiting for the price to fall below a certain mark.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017