Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by thisisdom, Mar 14, 2011.

1. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^^Excellent solution! Though I hate Windows 10 with a passion but might just want to give it another shot in the near future.

2. gull_s_777

gull_s_777 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also would like to mention another thing.
    If you use scaling, then don't use the slider in new metro interface control panel. It causes many desktop applications text get fuzzy. (Device manager for example)

For scaling, go to old control panel display settings, click on "set custom scaling level" and apply 125% or whatever you use, and restart the system.
    Blade sharp text in everything. :)

Wasn't a big fan of windows 10 when it came out. But i kept it for a week on my system and kept playing with drivers till i got everything working right the way it should be.
    After collecting all the drivers, i moved back to windows 7.

And now after one year, microsoft released Redstone 1 update with all the fixes included from last year which got me to try it again. And it seems to be growing on me this time.

3. drewross

drewross Newbie

Reputations:
    The screen on my XPS 17 L702x has broken off the hinge mount, just underneath the bezel on the right-hand side. It's not just the screws--the plastic seems to be broken.

What this means is that I can't close my laptop without the corner of the screen popping out. It also means that the bezel sticks out when the laptop is open.

So my options seem to be: (1) Leave the laptop open all the time, (2) Deal with pushing all the parts back together every time I close and re-open it, (3) Replace the screen and the hinge mount.

Which is where you all come in. Does this sound like a manageable repair? I'm not skilled in repairs enough to do it on my own, so I expect I'd have to buy the parts and take it to a local computer repair shop. Anyone else done this? FYI, I am using the 1920x1080 17" screen. Will I have a hard time finding the replacement parts?

4. Locutus

Locutus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    that happened to me. All you need to replace is the cover. i got one from ebay. The bezel prys off, the screen removes with 4 screws 1 in each corner.i put a towel and laid the screen across the keyboard and taped it with blue painters tape so it doesn't move.all the wires that are attached can be removed from the back. its just tape. i peeled off all wires and replaced them on the new back. very very easy

drewross likes this.
  5. 80sGuy

Reputations:
    I replaced mine a few years ago, the whole backside cover I ordered from Dell for like $19. Apparently the plastic supporting the inner hinge/screws has shred to pieces due to wear. It's been like that since new when I first heard some very faint 'ticking' noise emitting from the area while I type, along with the screen subtlety flexing back and forth. This eventually just pops up over time whenever I close the laptop. Cheap design in many ways. Bought two Apple MacBooks since and to this day they still feel as solid as the day I brought them home. Now I know why Apple is so popular. Quality stuff and worth every expensive shiny penny.

drewross likes this.
  6. JanJ

JanJ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not a code guy, but I bought a used XPS 1702X unit with NVIDIA 555, (It had A19 Bios installed). New Arctic Silver compund, and put SSD with my old laptop W7-64 image on it... Loaded divers, Hacked NVidia 555M into PPRO CS6 and AE, and other CS6.... it works nearly as good as Quadro 4800FX in a laptop.... Swapped a BR R/W Combo drive in place of DVD Combo drive, and just a couple days ago, swapped 8GB for 16GB ram... I am Incredibly Happy!!!!

7. Octopuss

Octopuss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what memory modules are installed in this notebook by default? I mean, what speed. I'm going to be reinstalling it for a friend and would possibly like to make it a bit faster if I can with faster modules.

8. drewross

drewross Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Locutus and 80sGuy!

I bought a replacement cover apparatus (~$100, not $19) and found a good YouTube tutorial on how to replace it. It's about an 80% fix, since there's a piece of plastic around the screen that won't attach any longer, but so far, it works great.

9. dereksurfs

dereksurfs Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone ever hear why Dell decided to not provide an L702 upgrade? Looks like my next 17" notebook will have to be from another manufacturer.

10. 80sGuy

Reputations:
    Why not just upgrade your existing L702? Put in some SSD, replace the DC jack (ebay tight firmer dc jack fix), etc...I'm still using mine with all the 'upgrades' and it still surpasses many of today's 17" notebooks in terms of Windows OS.