1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by thisisdom, Mar 14, 2011.

1. m112

m112 Notebook Enthusiast

Dell genuine battery on ebay would cost you £50
    keyboard probably about the same.

2. gull_s_777

gull_s_777 Notebook Consultant

Using it for more than 3 years now, still like a brand new to me. :)
    No plans to buy another laptop anytime soon.

3. kaizeris

kaizeris Newbie

Hi,

I am haveing a problem with my L702x. Well, I left my laptop overnight to do the defragmentation of the HDD, but when I checked in the morning the screen was up side down. Then when I restarted the Laptop it went to booting up screen (i.e select to load w7 or to run diognostics). But at that moment I could not normaly select any option. The keyboard was not responding and only after pressing all the button randomly it loaded the w7. However, at that moment the keyboard was not responding when I tried to type in my password or it was typeing but random letter. I guess it is the problem with keyborad. Does anybody else had any similar problems? Plus, the screen sometime goes up side down when you restart the laptop.

Cheers.

4. kupony

kupony Notebook Enthusiast

Can you guys recommend a security cable that you're using with your l702x?

I never really had to take the laptop with me anywhere where I wouldn't feel safe, I'd always take my older vostro laptop for which I have a kensington security cable. Recently, I tried the cable on my XPS, but the lock is too close to the power plug - I can't have the laptop plugged in and locked with the security cable at the same time. :(

5. ssgoku129

ssgoku129 Newbie

Yeah man I had to get this Tryten Serialize/Preset Laptop Combination Lock, just find a smaller model, depending on if you buy it online.. also was pretty annoyed about that but meh,

4 years and this laptop still runs like a beast

6. ztsky

ztsky Newbie

hi all,
    Could you please tell me the name of new laptop screen with IPS technology is available for l702x (FHD 40 pin LED screen socket)?
    Thank you in advance.

7. netwerkz101

netwerkz101 Notebook Guru

Hiya Sam! Good to see an old, familiar name ;)

Still have one..and it's just like day 1 .... wonderful and loud (fan on/off/on/off ...you know).
    I may have to open her up for the first time to re-paste and secure/replace my DC jack.

Other than that .. the L702X has been flawless in performance as a VMware Workstation lab host.

8. bacillo 2006

bacillo 2006 Newbie

Sorry for my bad English.
    I have the notebook in question (L702X), with Full HD 3D screen, and I tried to intsllare W9ndows XP, do not install the Nvidia drive, saying that they do not find the card.
    How can you solve?
    thanks

9. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Evangelist

Going on three years with my XPS 17. So far so good. Occasionally needed to renew the thermal grease with Acrtic 5. Will be doing it again but this time with the newer Acrtic MX-4.

10. domulis

domulis Newbie

Hi there.. I am a new member, having my L702X since summer 2011, running strong, had there issues:
    had my screen changed changed due to a white horizontal line
    battery remanufactured 2 times (overheated by my own stupidity both times)
    then screen bezel changed as it was broken after 3 years of usage.
    My Dell application was reporting faulty optical drive with DW60 firmware, so I have downgraded to DW50, works fine
    Had problems with some range of nvidia drivers, as my laptop would make new hardware found sound when closing the lid, identified an external screen somehow. Later drivers have solved it.

Now, my issue is that with current nvidia drivers it does not switch the screen off when closing the lid - just think about extra usage of power. Normal time based screen turn off works fine. My Dell application has screen close test - it fails it.Works fine in bios, so definitely driver/windows related.. Anybody have expierienced anything like that? Some older drivers from 332 series work fine, but since some update in spring 2014, it doesn't turn off. Has anybody ever experienced anything like that? Any workarounds apart from driver downgrade. People in nvidia forums don't seem to come up with solution. I can't be the only one! Here is my post from nvidia forums with technical details:

Cant insert my signature yet, but here is my system:
    Dell XPS 17 L702X W7 64bit Ultimate, FHD 3D screen, no optimus, GeForce GT555M, 8GB ram + 2 empty slots, 120GB Intel 520 SSD + Original Toshiba 500GB HDD, unlit keyboard

11. tonuzzi

tonuzzi Newbie

Same here, I ordered my in Dec 2011, and having been using it for 3 years, she's still like running like a champ.
    No plans to buy another laptop anytime soon either.

Laptop: XPS l702x | i7-2720QM | Nvidia 555m + Intel HD 3000 (Optimus) | 16GB 1600MHz (Corsair Vengeance), | 1080p AG (no-3D) | Intel 6230 WiFi | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Seagate GoFlex 1GB USB3 HDD | Seagate Internal 500GB 7200RPM HDD | Backlit KB | 9-cell Battery | Blu-Ray Reader/DVD+CD Burner | WD MyCloud 3TB NOS

Laptop: ASUS ROG G53SW-XA115.6" FHD | Intel i7-2630QM | NVIDIA GTX 460M | 16GB DDR3 1333 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "5"); //--></SCRIPT>