Dell XPS 15z Issues List

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by NIGHTMARE, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Please vote if you have any of this issue.

1. LCD Bezel (Do images/text appear grainy)

11.1%
  2. Crackling Audio

37.0%
  3. Malfuctioning Cypress Touch Pad Driver

55.6%
  4. Battery Indicator Showing Wrong Information

22.2%
  5. Fading Colour Of Any Body Part

11.1%
  6. Satisfy With Dell Support

22.2%
  7. Still Facing The Problem After Replacements

29.6%
  8. Keyboard Backlight issue.

14.8%
  9. BIOS Post Screen Error / Beeping.

3.7%
  10. Issue Solved

3.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovethai

lovethai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i got my new 15z last week and apart from the chrome bezel which is very thin and might come off in the future i have no other problems with it. full hd screen is very nice (not as sharp as on the m18x though) keyboard backligt works and is readable, speakers both work, trackpad scrolling is fine.
    and no overheat problems whatsoever, i went with the i5 and cannot be happier, laptop runs very cool 60c even under heavy load, im using it on the cheap £10 laptop pad i got on amazon.
    overall very satisfied.

2. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even £10 is not cheap I have which worth it £2 and it's good. But it's hard to find in UK. Have checked with DPC latency checker ? and which router you are using.

3. CharlieM76

CharlieM76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a noisy (noisier than I think it ought be) fan under load.

4. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no solution, however if you replaced the fan the noise will be come back after 2.5 month or 3 month.

5. skoodog

skoodog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just picked up a fully-loaded refurb off the Outlet with the last 25% coupon - everything except for a terrible 5400 RPM drive (didn't even think they made those in current-gen laptops). It'll be swapped out for a 128GB 830 as soon as it arrives.

First boot and the trackpad did not work AT ALL. AT ALL. I restarted and that seemed to fix the problem until I experienced random lack of response which for a computer with this kind of guts. I finally surfed around on my other PC until I found that the Cypress driver is god-awful and uninstalled and fixed the lack of response, but still...That's unacceptable.

Also heard a fast spinning (like a fan but it was quick like a drive) when i tried to download Chrome and Steam. I'm hoping it's the drive I'm about to swap and not the fan.

6. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its the fan... I just got one as well (Maxed out specs (no ssd, only 7200)). I am assuming you got the second gen i7. (Disregard my sig... I need to fix that).

The trackpad drivers from dell are ok... just put in your service code and go from there.

------------
    * Update

I also did the above mentioned fix for the crackeling audio (I had that issue) and I am pleased to report that it worked! Thanks for that walkthrough and fix!

7. skoodog

Reputations:
    Damn.

Do we know if the fan issue is fixable with a firmware upgrade (BIOS control to spin at slower speeds, etc.) or is it the physical fan? If people think they will experience these issues later it sounds like firmware to me, but I'm no expert.

8. MSGaldenzi

Reputations:
    Well I could be wrong... I just looked at a video to see where the HDD is located, and then I put my ear up to it... It could be the Hdd. If its always spinning, then that could be the sound that is generated. I remember the V131 I had had a constant drone that could be heard in the library... Keeping it in power saver mode seems to help too.
    ---------------

As it turns out, I got the crackel/distortion back somehow...

Lastly is there a way to make the trackpad changes PERMINENT... Mine keeps reverting. I hate having the touchpad be able to left click...

9. skoodog

Reputations:
    Uninstall Cypress drivers seemed to do it for me.

Regarding the fan, it's only happening occasionally so I think once I swap the drive out I should be good.

Looks like i have a little screen door effect too...dammit. :(

10. MSGaldenzi

Reputations:
    uninstalling the cypress drivers will not give me 2 finger scrolling... I rather bear with the double click instead of the oldschool side scroll.

Has anyone tried the new drivers dell has on the site for the cypress trackpad?

I think I have a little screen door.... not enough really to complain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.