Dell XPS 15 with Infinity Display (2015)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by techtonic, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jagstyles

Jagstyles Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No BSOD for me lately at all under the latest builds in Fast Ring. In fact, it's been some time now since I experienced BSOD. Unfortunately, as someone already pointed out, anniversary update doesn't resolve the scaling issue. It's just silly that the OS requires us to log off and back in again for the per-monitor DPI scaling setting to kick in.

2. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wonder why the guy used an i3... seems like a waste. The i5 would be the sweet spot but I am wondering if it was bc the i3 does not have a gpu in it and therefore makes it easier to recognize the egpu.

5. Jagstyles

Jagstyles Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just installed the new Bios and see the screen flicker hasn't yet been fixed? WTF is wrong with Dell? This is an obvious glitch. Same thing happened with v1.12 of the BIOS. Now I have to resort back to the old BIOS again. GRRRR!

6. name goes here

name goes here Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi...

So I just got an XPS 15 yesterday, and it wobbles. The other people on this thread mentioned a wobbling problem, but usually the wobbling occurs between the bottom right (where the CPU sticker is at) and top left, whereas mine wobbles between the bottom left and top right. It does this both when opened and closed. I have tried several times to bend it back in shape (both when it's open and closed), but it just seems to be a temporary fix, and soon gets out of shape again. It wobbles by about 1-2mm.
    Should I keep trying to bend it back in shape in the hope that it'll eventually stay there, or should I exchange it?

7. jasell

jasell Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To be succesfully in bending it back so it stays flat you need to dismount the outer shell first. When it comes as a brand new spare part it is really twiste, not flat as I would suspect. Mine have been "fixed" two times for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sebi97

Reputations:
    For those considering this laptop for fast paced games- look elsewhere. I wanted to love this laptop, I really did. However the screen ghosting is really, really bad. It's a shame since in nearly every other aspect this laptop is perfect. Take a look to see what I mean. I never thought it would bother me as much as it did but it's now going to be returned
    https://imgur.com/a/ThuUO

pressing likes this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What will you replace it with?

10. Sebi97

Reputations:
    Honestly, I'm pretty much done with laptops. Between the whole 960m being a slightly OC'd 860m scandal and the really high price per performance of laptops I've had enough. I'm building myself a nicely set up desktop and likely going to be purchasing a cheap used XPS 13 when I go back to school. I honestly found myself gaming mostly when I'm at home anyway, so then whats the point of the laptop? When I went to school, I went to take notes. Not to play battlefield 4. It's more of a fundamental usage change than anything

Also, just as an example, my Gigabyte P34Gv2 with the OC'c 860m vastly outperformed the 960m in the XPS 15. The p34 was around the same thickness. It's also nearly 3 years older than the Dell and sold for cheaper. Build quality is better on the XPS without a doubt but that's not to say the P34 was of poor quality. I should have never sold that laptop...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.