Dell XPS 15 with Infinity Display (2015)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by techtonic, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selayan

selayan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think they are closed now so I will send it in but I'll also call them and see if they are willing to exchange it for me while it is there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. MisterJiggyFly

MisterJiggyFly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Could some of you run your finger down the front of the laptop where the plastic palm rest meets the aluminum base (around the battery light), and tell me if you catch the edge of the aluminum?

My lid plastic/aluminum join seamlessly, but the base not so much. The aluminum is slightly bigger all around. I'm wondering if this is across all devices, or if mine has poor fit and finish.

3. mircolino

mircolino Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I couldn't agree more.

4. Techgee

Techgee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for not getting back earlier - decided to do several runs...

Setup:

FHD / 56Wh / i7 / 256G SSD / 8G RAM

Original system from Dell - software updates disabled/deferred (so probably performance not worked out and not a lot of performance tuning done by MS, Intel, Dell)

System left running until controlled sleep by Critical battery setting shuts it down. EDIT: browser used for tests: Internet Explorer​

Dell power plan (balanced plan, note Reserve battery level: 7%, Critical battery level: 5%, both plans, so some headroom left untapped there)

Hulu full-screen on autoplay, brightness setting: middle level (5 setting levels below it, 5 above it) which is fairly bright - good for daytime, sound setting 30 (loud enough to listen in a small room): 1st run: 4:12 (4 hours, 12 minutes), 2nd run: 4:14

Idle, but disabled sleep and screen turning off, Turn off hard disk after set to Never: 7:07​

Power saver plan, same settings as above:

Hulu full-screen on autoplay, brightness setting: 2 levels below middle level (3 above lowest level) which is good for dimly lit room or to conserve power), sound setting: 20 (good for personal listening on lap) : 4:22

Idle: 7:28​

Meets my needs. Typically I set my screen to dim and turn off quickly on battery, since I'm not using my laptop continuously throughout the day. I could also increase above run times by 50% by switching to a 84Wh battery. So, I'd expect 6 hours of Hulu with 84Wh and FHD, 10 1/2 hours of idle.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    borgf15 and Pesceman3 like this.
  5. Techgee

Techgee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Odd. On my base plastic and aluminum are flush in the back and sides. But, front plastic extends out farther than the aluminum, meaning aluminum is recessed slightly compared to the plastic/carbon fiber palm rest.

6. dimsdale

dimsdale Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Confirmed exactly on my 9550 as well. The lid is seamless between the aluminum and plastic parts. However, the base aluminum protrudes a little bit more than the surrounding plastic in the front (but not on the sides). The edge on the aluminum in the front is actually fairly sharp, so much so that you can easily trim your fingernails on it.

I hadn't thought anything of it, but now that you mention it and noticing that the top lip and sides are joined seamlessly, the lip at the front does look like a fit/finish problem.

7. Pesceman3

Pesceman3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone have luck on buying a spare 84Whr battery?

8. frank_the_bunny

frank_the_bunny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just noticed an issue that my laptop is having: when rebooting, my machine does not seem to completely power off. The screen will go black as Windows shuts down, but the keyboard lights will stay on, and the power light never goes out. I have to hold down the power button for a few seconds to do a hard reset, and then power the machine back on, where it will boot up without issue. The laptop did this twice last night, but both times after BSODs, so I assumed the problems were linked. Today, I have had no BSODs, but two reboots have hung the same way. Anybody else having this issue?

9. XCVG

XCVG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got pushed back to December 31. I've already contacted Dell; my current laptop is falling apart and this kind of delay is absurd.

10. afive720

afive720 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After semi disappointing Day 1 with this thing, here is an update. UHD/i7/512SSD

I have a small web design/dev company, so I literally work all over. Today has been one of those days when I have been out and about, decided to even drive down to a nice coffee shop by the river to work. Having similar usage to my 2015 MBP that I have sold, this thing isn't good at all. First off, the battery life. Running Photoshop/Dreamweaver combo on MBP yields about 3-7 hour battery life depending on what I am doing with just about full brightness. I am barely getting 2 hours with XPS 15. Performance with Adobe Suite is good, load time is definitely longer though. I have literally maybe have been as quarter as productive today, the display driver crashes all the time! Most of the time it only locks up for few seconds with an error message, then back to normal. Other times, sound would start stuttering and it would lock up for 20-25 seconds and returns to normal. Few times, it would reboot itself... Seems to happen mostly during more intense tasks within Photoshop. Image editing also sucks as color temperature changes within Adobe Suite as well. Then, so many Windows panes shrink randomly, absolutely crazy!

This thing is definitely going back, I want to like it so bad, but I can't. All of these issues are mostly due to poorly written drivers with Dell software combined. Either way, nearly impossible to use as a daily driver. Spending $2300 and dealing with such terrible build quality is totally not worth it. I definitely would much rather wait for a Mac refresh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.