Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did a clean install of Windows earlier 2020 with and it is pretty reliable with headphones now.
    In device manager I see a Microsoft driver 10.0.19041.1 dated 6 december 2019

For years, I had major issues with the audio. A 2016 audio board replacement by Dell didn't seem to do much. I tried a lot of driver reinstalls, clean installs of Windows, the drivers directly from RealTek, etc. The 9550 works quite well now but it took a long time to sort.

2. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Following up on previous post: a clean install of Windows 10 on another partition exhibited the same dead audio after unplugged 3.5mm jack headphones, which convinced me it was a hardware problem. Today, I exchanged the audio daughterboard in my xps 15 9550 with the one from eBay. Everything works perfectly now!

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

pressing likes this.
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do most of you use the dell power manager for your battery usage? I mentioned how a while back, i use my laptop plugged in almost always. I use it like a desktop and connect it to 2 external monitors. I also have it plugged in all the time. My first battery was the original 56wh battery, then after maybe 1 year or so, battery worn out and got replacement 56wh on ebay. Then after a while, battery went bad but also bloated. Then i replaced my 250gb ssd with a 1tb m.2 ssd and took out both the 250gb 2.5 inch ssd and the 32gb nvme cache ssd in order to put in the 84wh battery i bought.

Can someone tell how me I only charge it up to 80% battery with the dell power manager? Do i need to first make the battery drop below 80% to do this?
    I'm looking at the settings on the dell power manage and don't see this option. Right now its 100% available, not charging when i see it on charge status on the battery information. But of course it says not charging since its 100%. If its 90%, it would show plugged in and charging.

Also can others here confirm you make the battery last longer if you only have it max charged to 80% or 90%? Again im using my laptop as a desktop basically connected to 2 monitors... so i would like if the battery last me say 1.5 years instead of 1 year or even less.

4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone who uses the dell power manager can answer this? I dont see the option to change the max battery charge to 80%? And do all of you recommend 80% and 90%?

And has anyone tried this vs not doing anything and compared it to see how long their xps 15 9550 battery lasted? Example you used your laptop like normal without doing these changes and had to get a new battery say 1.5 year. But changing the max battery might get you 2 years?

5. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm sorry I don't have English version of screenshot but here it is. In my opinion 90% is enough not to sacrifice too much capacity for lifespan of battery. My battery has 2.5 years and is still in a good condition with those settings. [​IMG]

6. gnbspop

gnbspop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi... My 9550 is slowing down that's why I'm thinking of upgrading the ssd to a samsung 970 evo plus. It's compatible right? I did some research but I want to confirm it with you guys. My ram is only 8gb. If there's a need to replace it which is an acceptable one? I know its a 'no' but just in case... Can I upgrade the nvidia 960? If not, is there something I can do to make it better? Thanks

Also the battery... You guys know where I can get a Dell brand? Thanks again

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why don't you do a clean install of Windows, drivers and only necessary programs? That might solve all your performance woes for free.

You can not upgrade the GPU.

You can easily upgrade the RAM. You might see better performance with matching 2x8 GB ram sticks but 8GB might be just fine depending on your usage.

Do you have a SSD now or a normal HDD? Upgrading from a HDD will show big improvements in speed. You might not notice the difference upgrading from one SSD to another.

You can call Dell to see if they have a battery. Parts people have a big battery (only the small battery will work if you have a HDD).
    https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&subid=560&refine=battery

Vasudev likes this.
  8. gnbspop

gnbspop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply and the link pressing! That will help a lot...Right now I'm using a 250gb ssd and a 54watt battery with an hdd hooked up inside the laptop. The battery is almost done and I'd be replacing it with an 84watt, that's why I have to get a bigger SSD... Thanks again pressing...

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a similar set up. With the big battery, you will lose the HDD space. But will not hear the HDD spinning which is nice.

Clean out your fans and radiators while you have the laptop open. You might also repaste the CPU & GPU.

That Samsung is still on Anand's buyer's guide. The competition has caught up to Samsung so you can get similar performance from cheaper brands. https://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds

Unless you are doing certain specialized work, you might not notice a difference between a SATA & nvme drive speeds. Previously, nvme prices were much higher than SATA prices, but generally prices are pretty close these days. (regardless, you will need a SSD in the m.2 form factor to fit in that slot).

gnbspop, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I recently replaced the Samsung drive which was getting super slow for no reason. SMART values are good and did say 90% spare available after writing 26-29TB (Rated 35TBW). Had to replace it since it was constantly missing on cold boot. I went with 1TB Crucial P1.