Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. TDO

TDO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it known that you can upgrade to 64GB RAM (not only 32GB as stated in the manual)?

Mainboard.JPG

Memory01.JPG Memory02.JPG

GoNz0 and pressing like this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which model CPU is that?

I know some Skylake CPUs ran up to 64 GB but I thought only a few laptops could run more than 32GB of RAM until recently.

3. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Old news.
    Dell XPS 15 9550 - 64GB (2x32GB), 2666 MHz memory....
    Dell gave more love to the XPS brand than for the more expensive gaming sibling, Alienware's. Although Azor was the cofounder for the AW gaming brand and stepfather for XPS:) He finalized his job at Dell with killing ram slots for the newer Aw models.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    etern4l and pressing like this.
  4. markd89

markd89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What are the options to add a second Thunderbolt port? Ideally, I'd like something compact.

5. TDO

TDO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is the i7 6700HQ.
    I was quite surprised that it did work.

CPU.JPG

pressing likes this.
  6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all. So my current setup is two monitors of 24' 1920x1200 side by side with my xps laptop.

So I bought the 32' 4k monitor online and it will take a while for me to receive it. Decided on it as oppose to the 43' 4k tv.

Now i know i could connect it with one of my current 24' 1920x1200 monitors side by side. Thus using a usb-c to display port 60hz 4k cable with it... and using a hdmi to hdmi cable with my other 24' monitor.

Now if i want to use both my current monitors... with the new 32' 4k monitor... what exact product do i need to buy? Is it a docking station or can it be something cheaper?

I am planning to use only the 32' 4k monitor and 24' 1920x1200 monitor side by side... but i kind of want to use all 3 monitors. Thus imagine the 32' 4k in the middle and a 24' 1920x1200 to the left and right of it. Im not sure i would have enough space though on my desk for this as if i do this.. i would need to put my laptop somewhere else.

Is the dell xps 15 9550 strong enough with the video card and everything to handle 3 external monitors? The processor is an i5-6300hq if that matters... since many seem to have the i7-6700hq.

Would something like this work or not?

https://www.amazon.com/Display-Dock...qid=1608262863&sprefix=docking,aps,256&sr=8-3

Thanks.

7. gaidin43

gaidin43 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a 3 year old 9550 with 16gb of ram, 1080p, and new battery, with the i7 chip and an extra brand new battery from dell. Motherboard died on me, but otherwise in great condition. Anyone need it for parts?

8. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. markd89

markd89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have 16GB RAM now. Would battery life or heat be noticeably different with 32 or 64GB of RAM?

10. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My xps 15 9550 i7 has the headphone jack problem. Speaker audio works, headphones work, audio dead after unplugging headphones until next reboot. I read several postings online saying that the issue was resolved by replacing the audio daughterboard. My question is whether there are different revisions of the mainboard and/or audio daughterboard of the 9550. I bought a daughterboard on eBay, listed as a new pull, not sure how that is possible but it was only $12. But it is a lot of work to swap this daughterboard. The part number I got is P1GM9. If there is a newer revision I would rather spend my time installing that. On the software side, all I've tried is forcing the audio driver to the Microsoft High-Definition Audio driver, which did not help. I have not yet tried disabling the MaxxAudio because I read convincing postings that this is a hardware problem rather than a driver or software problem. Also when Dell issues a new board revision, does the part number change?