Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Odd.

Sometimes hardware develops faults when they idle for long periods of time. Sometimes those faults sort themselves after a few power and/or heat cycles. I battle that with some ageing audio equipment, on the amp power supplies and LED displays.

I can't see any lines on your image (maybe it is a screenshot).

2. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it is caused by mild condensation and is slowly recovering then you have just got very lucky!

3. Paul67

Paul67 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol, because I could see the lines on the screenshot I took last night I thought I thought anyone viewing the image would too. But I just viewed it on my new dell xps 13 9000 and there are no lines.., so here's a photo on the screen instead.

Prior to me going into hospital it was always turned on for all for all the years I've owned it. The problem does seem to have occurred due to it being switched off for a long period and stored in a cooler environment. I wonder if it is a poor connection on the cable going to the screen itself? I'll just keep power cycling it on and off in the hope the lines eventually go away. lines.jpg

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sometimes older caps (and other components) that have been powered off for a while just need to be used for a while to "bounce back".

It also could be a coincidence that your screen or connections just happened to waver this autumn.

The screen cable is uber-delicate but very tightly wound around the laptop's chassis; when I was having screen issues, I might have tried a few things. I surely thought of them but can't remember if I ever tried them:

- Gently open the screen to max extension and gently close the screen a few times
    - Gently disconnect the screen cable, gently pull it out of the clips, (very) gently wiggle it, and (very gently) return it to its home.

5. Paul67

Reputations:
    Ok so as I only discovered the problem about 6-7 weeks ago and each time I power it on lines were decreasing in number until there was only 3 left, if figured I just have to keep doing what I have been doing. But then I realised I only had the laptop on for a few minutes each time, so was hardly warming up. So tonight I powered it up and it still had 3 lines so then I put a 4k video on and just 25 minutes later I only have 2 lines!

pressing and Schmoo2k like this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great. Rather than disassemble then, Why not run the laptop for longer periods of time. I might run some intensive benchmarks to ramp up some power and heat a bit also.

Paul67 likes this.
  7. Paul67

Reputations:
    So happy days it's working. Now I only have one line on the right hand side of the screen. :) IMG_20201126_181619.jpg .

Schmoo2k and pressing like this.
  8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all. Im going to soon get a 4k TV most likely as a monitor. I currently have 2 monitors that are 24' 1920x1200 resolution and connect both to my laptop. One is the usb-c to hdmi and the other cable is hdmi to hdmi from my laptop.

I want to get a 43' 4k TV... and I will most likely just use the big tv as my monitor... i won't even have enough space to put one of my 24' on my desk.

Now... can anyone here confirm i need a hdmi 2.0 cable connected from my dell xps 15 9550 to the 4k tv?

So this usb-c to hdmi cable won't work right even though its 4k?

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B06Y6448WB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I read the details of this istem, it says it support up to 4k at 60hz. But this won't work because its not hdmi 2.0?

So any tv that i get that is 4k resolution... this cable I have won't work?

This is the tv im planning to buy and use as my monitor

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Samsung-C...-Crystal/dp/B085B7X2Z9/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_es_MX=

My usb c to hdmi cable below would work with the TV above to get 4k resolution right? Thus its only if i want to use the hdmi to hdmi my from xps 9550 laptop to the TV... then i would need an hdmi 2.0 cable?

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B06Y6448WB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2020
  9. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are correct. The difference between the usb-c adapter and built in hdmi port is 4k @ 60hz v 4K @ 30Hz (and it is a noticeable difference).

10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Okay thanks. So because i have this, cable, i could use it with a 4k TV/Monitor. But if i want to use another tv/monitor that has 4k... then i would need an hdmi 2.0 cable right?

So right now, i could connect just one 4k TV/monitor to my laptop. And i could use the other cable i have hdmi to hdmi and use my 1920x1200 monitor right?

Hey all. Someone mentioned the issue with using a 4k tv as a monitor is 4:4:4 chroma. Can anyone here confirm there is no issue with this on the dell xps 15 9550?

Someone mentioned it might require a new video card in another forum a while back. Does this apply to the dell xps 15 9550?

Hey all one other question I have. How would one connect 3 external monitors to the dell xps 15 9550? I currently have 2 monitors 24' 1920x1200 connected to my monitors. One is the hdmi to hdmi to a monitor, the other is the usb-c to display port on the other monitor. I also have a 3rd cable... usb-c to hdmi as well.

I will most likely buy a 32' 4k monitor and considering using 3 monitors. But I would first plan to use the 32' 4k monitor with one of my 24' 1920x1200 monitors in the meantime.

I would need to buy a docking station for this ... correct? Anyone can post a link on amazon of what i would need? Because the dell xps 15 9550, while using the ports on the laptop, you can only connect 2 monitors right since it has 1 hdmi port and 1 usb-c port? So if you want 3 monitors or more, docking station is what you need to buy?

Also, are the new dell xps laptops or laptops now in generally have more than 1 hdmi port and 1 usb-c port so you could connect 3 monitors? Example a laptop with a usb-c port and say 2 hdmi ports on the laptop? Or is that not possible?

But would I also need to check if my graphics card supports 3 monitors? I also it does? Anyone with the 9550 can confirm?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2020