Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    codester, Dell told me, that in case the BIOS chip is corrupt, they have to change the mainboard what would have resulted in a bill around or even higher than USD 1.000,--, which would not make sense to invest.

For this reason I sended my XPS the a repair shop in Berlin, Germany were the solder a new BIOS Chip (or flash the BIOS chip soldered on the board if possible). In case it my help you, here is the link to the https://www.electronicloop.de/Dell-XPS-15-Mainboard-Laptop-Reparatur-LA-9941P-LA-C961P-LA-C361P repairshop that helped me.

pressing likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That price of 179,00 € (only payable for successful repair) is very good, even for older computers. Especially since they have identified specific failure modes in the description so this is not some generic tech work. I haven't seen any other shops offering that specific service.

Similar to the NYC Louis Rossman services for MacBooks.

There is an ENglish translation button at the top left of the page.

For foreigners outside Germany or the EU, it might be possible to avoid the VAT (16% included in the price) but a small shop may not have the administrative ability to exclude VAT, so I would not expect that.

3. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am not related in any way with the mentioned company, but since they repaired my XPS for a reasonable price, I recommended the compay to other folks who posted similar problems in the german Dell forum. At least, this helped three other people whos XPS could be finally repaired sucessfully.

It is a pitty that Dell only swaps boards and calls it repair.

sumsum likes this.
  4. Splitframe

Splitframe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late replies, but I was not able to continue working on the notebook.
    It sits disassembled at my project desk.

Sadly I cannot remember, I didn't change many options in the BIOS so if it is on by default there is a high chance that it was enabled.

Thank you for this! I will try to get in touch with them. The price is reasonable, too!

Chang_loo and pressing like this.
  5. Paul67

Paul67 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Had my swollen battery changed free of charge about a year ago as a goodwill gesture from DELL. Got a report to say it was in day 1 condition. Went into hospital more recently for a quadruple bypass, while leaving my stuff with other people. I got multiple vertical lines on the screen since, say 12 pixels wide lines on the left side of the screen and 48 and the right. more recently though I only had 2 on the left and 3 on the right. WTF? Any suggestions?

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure. You might try running ePSA (Dell system diagnostics).

You might try using an HDMI cable to a monitor or TV to help narrow down the problem.

Alternatively, the screen cable came loose for a few of us. If you open the laptop, there is a connector hidden under a silver-coloured Metal cover (located between the battery and the "right" side fan. That metal cover has 1 black JIS screw. You must use a JIS screwdriver to remove the screw; if you use a normal philips screwdriver, you risk stripping the head. After removing the Metal cover you can try to CAREFULLY reseat the screen cable. That is incredibly delicate so use extreme caution. Do NOT touch any of the pins. Dell has an online PDF manual that shows how to do this.

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...563f10-3aaf-48d6-bf40-55f030805c00&lang=en-us

7. Paul67

Reputations:
    I tried the dell diagnostics and it passed without any issues, and the lines aren't there when connected to an external monitor via HDMI. I also tried reseating the screen cable and using switch cleaner on both sides of the connections. It seems very odd that the vertical lines are decreasing in numbers over time.

8. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When the Dell diagnostic ran (there should have been a specific screen one) I assume it looked ok (it should cycle through flat colour patterns)?

9. Paul67

Reputations:
    Yes, that it correct. Even though it was in a Moko sleeve, within a Dell slim rucksack, I'm left assuming it is/was caused by moisture on the motherboard/screen connection. The room it was stored in for about 2 months does have know very minor condensation problems. Initially I thought it had been dropped but since each time I turn it on there are less and less lines. Bizarre!

10. Paul67

Reputations:
    Just booted it up and this is what it is like tonight. Just 3 lines..?

Attached Files: